Old 19-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Cool Woodlice Eating Strawberries???

does anyone know if woodlice eat strawberries? Last year our crop was ruined as soon as the fruit started to ripen something started to eat away at it. If left to ripen everytime in the middle of the fruit via the hole were woodlice. Can anyone help us resolve this thanks
Old 24-01-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default Woodlice Eating Strawberries???

More than likely, the strawberry was damaged by a slug, snail, or bird and
the woodlice just found a cozy moist home ready made. Use row cover or bird
netting for the birds and beer for the snails &slugs and see if the problem
doesn't clear up.
Gary

--
colyn

Old 27-01-2006, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

V_coerulea wrote:

More than likely, the strawberry was damaged by a slug, snail, or bird and
the woodlice just found a cozy moist home ready made. Use row cover or bird
netting for the birds and beer for the snails &slugs and see if the problem
doesn't clear up.
Gary

Good advice Gary, that's what I was thinking too.

Steve
PS I'm surprised to find you over here. I'm used to seeing you on the
orchid groups. :-)
Old 27-01-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

I like to eat too. So in between fertilizing the orchids I throw in a few
vegetable plants and pull some weeds. It helps that I have a helpful and
very supportive wife for both endeavors.
Gary

Woodlice in Pots les United Kingdom 32 09-05-2004 03:09 PM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 06:09 PM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 01:35 PM
Woodlice - good or bad? Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 10:44 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM