GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horseradish in the UK (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/111173-horseradish-uk.html)

Steve Newport 01-02-2006 10:33 PM

Horseradish in the UK

Hi everybody,

I am looking to grow some horseradish in containers (to control it)
but cant find anybody selling seeds or plants. Can anybodt suggest
anything?

I understand that the leaves are poisonouos. Can they be used in the
compost heap?

Thanks
Steve

OmManiPadmeOmelet 02-02-2006 03:26 AM

Horseradish in the UK

In article ,
Steve Newport wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am looking to grow some horseradish in containers (to control it)
but cant find anybody selling seeds or plants. Can anybodt suggest
anything?

I understand that the leaves are poisonouos. Can they be used in the
compost heap?

Thanks
Steve

Buy some fresh horseradish roots from the store.
Make sure the tops are alive.

Plant it.

Off you go....... ;-)

Cabbage worms killed my last batch tho'.

When I put in a pond, I want to try growing real Wasabi.
--
Om.

MacD 05-02-2006 10:36 PM

Steve
I dont know where you are in the UK, but in S&E England it has become a nighmare of a weed. It rarely produces seed, but it propogates itself from the smallest amount of root. It has been spead by land cultivation and earthmoving projects, and apears to have no significant pests. Planting it in a container is a really good idea. The plant grows like a dockleave with thicker and more crinkly leaves. It is very common but it blends into the landscape. If your intention is to make horseradish sauce then be careful. Grating the roots will make your eyes sting very badly.
MacD

Jim Elbrecht 06-02-2006 11:24 PM

Horseradish in the UK

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:36:41 +0000, MacD
wrote:

-snip-
If your intention is to make horseradish
sauce then be careful. Grating the roots will make your eyes sting very
badly.

The first time I grated my homegrown, I used a blender. A little
vinegar, a little sugar, a lot of root - and off I went.

Then I took off the top and sniffed. . . . and landed on the floor.

It was as if the fumes sucked all the oxygen out of my body. Now
I open the blender at arm's length and check the heat and fineness in
a spoon.

Jim

GA Pinhead 06-02-2006 11:38 PM

Horseradish in the UK

Sorry to laugh at you Jim, but that is funny!

Reminds me of the time my wife was doing up some habs for powder in the
blender.

She then put creme on her face. An hour or so later, she could open her
eyes again.

John!

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:36:41 +0000, MacD

-snip-

Roger Dewhurst 01-03-2006 04:14 AM

Horseradish in the UK

"MacD" wrote in message

OmManiPadmeOmelet Wrote:
In article ,
Steve Newport
wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am looking to grow some horseradish in containers (to control it)
but cant find anybody selling seeds or plants. Can anybodt suggest
anything?

I understand that the leaves are poisonouos. Can they be used in the
compost heap?

Thanks
Steve

Buy some fresh horseradish roots from the store.
Make sure the tops are alive.

Plant it.

Off you go....... ;-)

Cabbage worms killed my last batch tho'.

When I put in a pond, I want to try growing real Wasabi.

Wasabi need running water.

Roger Dewhurst 01-03-2006 04:15 AM

Horseradish in the UK

"GA Pinhead" wrote in message
Sorry to laugh at you Jim, but that is funny!

Reminds me of the time my wife was doing up some habs for powder in the
blender.

She then put creme on her face. An hour or so later, she could open her
eyes again.

Don't touch your private parts after chopping chillies! You will not make
that mistake twice.

General Schvantzkoph 01-03-2006 02:16 PM

Horseradish in the UK

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:24:23 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 22:36:41 +0000, MacD
wrote:

-snip-
If your intention is to make horseradish sauce then be careful. Grating
the roots will make your eyes sting very badly.

The first time I grated my homegrown, I used a blender. A little vinegar,
a little sugar, a lot of root - and off I went.

Then I took off the top and sniffed. . . . and landed on the floor.

It was as if the fumes sucked all the oxygen out of my body. Now I
open the blender at arm's length and check the heat and fineness in a
spoon.

Jim

On occasion I've worn a snorkel and diving goggles when I've grated
horseradish, it might look ridiculous but it works.