Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Benedict G Archer

Default Mission Fig Roots

Just found this group--great; I'll be a constant lurker. Recently moved
to new place and must replace very old shrubs etc. with productive,
attractive things--productive first. Immediate question prompted by
experiences at former house where roots from trees (ornamentals planted
before our time there) wrecked walkways and terracing walls. We've just
put in 18 fruit trees in accessible places on our 1/3 acre and cleared
about 1200 sq ft for the annual veggies. We now want to plant a Mission
Fig about two feet from the edge of an existing concrete patio, but are
concerned that roots may eventually raise or crack the patio. (We
probably won't live that long, but it's a concern anyway.) Anybody have
any knowledge or anecdotal experience, i.e., have or have seen a mature
Mission Fig near a walkway, sidewalk, patio, driveway etc., and noted
whether the roots disturbed the adjacent "pavement?"

Thanks,
Ben Archer

Old 09-02-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin

Hi All,

I have not heard of a Mission Fig. With Fig trees in the U. K. [ Brown
Turkey ] it is recomended that you restrict the roots anyway in order to get
more fruit. We grow them in pots in the greenhouse, or if planted out side
dig a pit about 3 feet square and line it with flat stones or flags to
resrict the roots and fill with good soil. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

. com...

Old 09-02-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

We don't grow Mission figs in the South (US). They're mostly grown in
California. Our Brown Turkeys do grow about the same size, to 20' tall by
30' wide with 1'+ diameter trunks. Their roots are powerful and placing them
2' from concrete is asking for trouble. I would recommend a minimum of
8-10'. That's not to mention the mess any falling fruit would make on the
patio once the limbs overgow it.. Trimming the limbs back to keep them off
the patio is an excercise in futility.
Gary

Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
R M. Watkin

Hi All,
Your Brown Turkey figs must grow a lot faster than they do in the U. K.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ben Archer

Your experience is the type of information I was looking for. I just
wish it was different. We may just have to find a different location
for the tree. But since posting the query I've heard about root
barriers--plastic panels installed next to the patio. I'll look into
that too. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Roger Dewhurst

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
Your Brown Turkey figs must grow a lot faster than they do in the U. K.

Richard M. Watkin.

You might just be surprised how fast things which grow so slowlu in the UK
will grow in a warmer climate. Here we have oak trees more than a metre in
diameter which are less than 100 years old. I grew a chestnut with a trunk
about 600mm in diameter in 20 years. My hazelnuts, much the same size as
those in the arboretum near Tetbury, are also only about 20 years old.