Old 21-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): Sunlight requirements for Kiwi

Since kiwi plants are naturally understory plants, it would seem logical
they would thrive in partial shade. I'm sure hoping so since I planted
mine between the house and the 30-foot tall Evergreen Magnolia tree. With
the house and the tree, they will get from 30-50 percent sun each day,
though there will be another 10 or so percent of filtered sun in the
shaded percentage.

If I'm very, very, very lucky, I'll get to see some blossoms or maybe even
a few pieces of fruit this year. I love grapes and kiwi but am so very
impatient; this two-to-five years fruiting thing is so patience draining.

Glenna

writes:
My kiwi gets morning sun and afternoon shade, and seems to be quite happy
with the situation. It has rambled under the fence to the shady, east
side
as well, and grows almost as vigorously there as it does on the sunny
side.
So in my un-expert opinion, you should be fine.

It will leaf out about the same time as the trees, so that's not really a
factor.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
"Mark" wrote in message
. com...
I just got my hardy kiwi vines from Miller's. There's a nice stretch
of fench to the side of the house that'll get a fair amount of sun
through the warm months, but not all day long...maybe 6-7 hours of
direct sun during the hotter months and moreso when the trees nearby
aren't full of leaves.

Would this be enough? The other option would be to construct a
pergola / trellis in the middle of the yard, but I'm not sure how that
would fit in with the general scheme.

BTW, I'm in zone 6a/b, USA.

Mark