Old 22-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Charlie

Default Re(2): Seven Biggest Cat Boxes in the County

It could possibly be because your newsreader puts the figures (2) in the
subject line, which starts a new thread for most people, as it's a different
header. I've seen it happen before, so you hay want to reconfigure your
options.

Charlie.

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941018f677f3b9aca00be29f75f.18f67e5@p mug.org...
writes:

Glenna, Why don't you ever seem to post with the rest of a message
thread?
Why do you always start a fresh one to respond? Just hit "reply" and your
response will stay with the others ... where, by courteousy, it belongs.

I do click "Reply." The administrator of our service has tried to find
out what the problem is but my replies show up in the same thread for him,
not broken as several people here have said.

When you asked why I always start a fresh thread, you were making an
assumption which, like assumptions can be, is not fact. When I've left
the subject line the same, or any portion of it, I have clicked "Reply."

Whether the thread is connected seems to depend on the newsreader others
are using rather than what I am doing. It does not happen on all
newsreaders, though it does happen on Google.

I've also noticed that several other posters have disconnected threads.
Because of that, I look at subject lines, not where the thread is located.

Netiquette involves several things, many of which are not commonly
practiced. That includes top posting vs. bottom posting, how much of an
original post is left and many others.

Speaking of courtesy . . . you did not sign your post nor did you have a
valid email address on it so that my reply could be made to you personally
rather than publicly.

My "lack of courtesy" is not something that can be corrected; many
computer knowledgeable people have tried. Your action of not signing or
leaving an address, which could be construed as lacking in courtesy, is
deliberate.

Another netiquette "rule" and courtesy is to change the subject line when
the content of the message/thread changes; however, that is not often done
here and I've not seen anyone complain about it.

I read the group because I am a gardener who thoroughly enjoys her garden
and freely shares what is grown in it. I make every effort to be a kind
and considerate person as well as a responsible gardener. I learn a lot
here and am, occasionally, able to impart some useful information for
others.

My intention is to continue to read the newsgroup. The name of the group
is rec.gardens.edible, not post.only.this.way.

Quite frankly, the timing of your post stinks! In one week, we once again
endure the death date of my youngest son and this is, as compassionate
people can understand, not the best time in the world. Honestly, it would
be nice if you had better things to do with your time and energy than to
be upset with people for the way their messages appear. If you don't like
mine, just ignore them (or killfile me); you'll like that better.

And, yes, last year when someone simply asked why my responses appear
broken, we investigated it and have periodically since then. That person
simply asked the question, realizing that I wasn't aware of it, which I
wasn't since I use the same newsreader most of the time and had not read
this group through Google at all at that point and could not have known
had the question not been asked. The difference is he asked, and thereby
informed, he did not scold or say something that might be considered
condescending. I sincerely hope you meant it as information rather than
an unkindness; helpfulness is what this group seems to be about.

There are all types of people in the world, just as there are all types of
plants in the garden. It's what makes the world a better place . . .
variety and diversity. Even weird newsreaders have their place, if only
to appreciate the not-weird ones.g

Glenna
Who did used "Reply"and did not start a new thread . . . again.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 22-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

(Glenna Rose) writes:

Let me say up front that none of the following should be interpreted
as a criticism of you personally. Your posts are always well-written
and interesting, and that's what's most important. In almost ten
years of regular Usenet usage, I've never seen this particular problem
before, so I'm curious about it, not offended. If you'll tell us the
name and version number of your newsreader, I'd be glad to help if I
can.

I do click "Reply." The administrator of our service has tried to
find out what the problem is but my replies show up in the same
thread for him, not broken as several people here have said.

What's happening is that somewhere along the line your posts are
losing the References header. The References header looks something
like this:

It contains one or more values, which correspond to the Message-IDs of
its parent posts in the thread. Newsreaders use that info to build
the tree structure of a thread. If a post has no References header,
most newsreaders will assume it's a new thread.

When you asked why I always start a fresh thread, you were making an
assumption which, like assumptions can be, is not fact. When I've
left the subject line the same, or any portion of it, I have clicked
"Reply."

Whether the thread is connected seems to depend on the newsreader
others are using rather than what I am doing. It does not happen on
all newsreaders, though it does happen on Google.

Some newsreaders may seem to thread your posts correctly, but that's
not quite what's happening. What they're doing is seeing an
'orphaned' post -- one that looks like a reply because the Subject
starts with "", but it has no References header -- and sorting it
into the same thread with other posts with the same subject line. But
whether or not your post shows up in contextual order is left up to
chance.

If you do Google searches a lot, you'll see this when a thread has a
very common Subject line like "Help". When showing a thread view,
Google will tend to slap a whole bunch of orphaned posts and
sub-threads together, despite the fact that they have nothing in
common other than having the same subject line and being in the same
newsgroup.

Your administrator should be able to track this problem down pretty
easily, perhaps with a tool like tcpdump, which will track all the
low-level traffic on a connection. By watching the incoming data as
you send a post and the outgoing data when his server passes it
upstream, he can tell when the References header is being lost and
when the (2) is being added to the Subject line.

--
Aaron