Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

Default Mangel? or mammoth long red

Has anyone every heard of this? it suppose to be a giant beet, up to 30
lbs, and used mostly for cattle feed. I was trying to find a decent picture
of them but the only pics I found (3 on google) were out of focus. I was
planning of planting a couple of them mostly for a joke on my dad. Are the
edible? would you even want to try?

--
Lynn

Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nightingale

Lynn wrote:
Has anyone every heard of this? it suppose to be a giant beet, up to 30
lbs, and used mostly for cattle feed. I was trying to find a decent picture
of them but the only pics I found (3 on google) were out of focus. I was
planning of planting a couple of them mostly for a joke on my dad. Are the
edible? would you even want to try?

Mangels are delicious, and produce wonderful,
abundant greens. I have much better luck with them
than the red ball type.

I get mine he

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS10620
Old 10-02-2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

Excellent thank you! We were just planning on growing them as a joke but
hey if they are good so much the better!
--
Lynn

Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
newgardener

I wasn't aware of this kind of beet. I did a search under 'images' to
find some pictures, which don't do it justice I guess since there's
nothing in the images to give an impression of scale.

I was thinking about playing a trick on my father too--substituting
sunzilla seeds for his regular sunflower seeds (sunzillas can be up to
27 feet tall).

Old 14-02-2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn

My dad and I always compete esp about our gardens and since he will be away
for a couple of weeks at planting time I offered to put his garden in Only
if I don't "mess" his garden on him . LOL. I am putting in the purple
carrots, the cheddar califlower, mangle beets, and whatever else I can find.
he will get a kick out of it
I did find a picture to show roughly the size of this beet. these guys are
carrying it over their shoulder. Not a great picture.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Communit...EM00aa00bd.jpg

ups.com...