Old 23-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Tim B

Default Bareroot Stawberry plant storage

Arrgh. My April 20 shipment of Ozark Beauty bareroots Arrived on March 22.
I will call the merchant to complain. To which they'll surely say to
follow the directions on the plastic bag (with holes in the plastic) , which
calls for putting the bag in the refrigerator crisper until ready to use.

I wasn't going to plant them until temps were projected above 28 degrees
through the official last frost (6A - May 15). That generally means about
April 20 with some night-time covering required some nights. It's usually
at least then before the garden dries out anyway. So there's at least a
two-week period before the soil will be workable and probably more like 4
weeks.

So ... anybody every keep bareroot strawberries in the fridge for a month?
I have a feeling the merchant gets them in all at once and holds them in
refrigerated storage too, but of course theirs is better than a home
version. If you have kept them for a few weeks in the fridge, did you
mosten them at all?

Old 23-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Bobbett

So ... anybody every keep bareroot strawberries in the fridge for a month?
I have a feeling the merchant gets them in all at once and holds them in
refrigerated storage too, but of course theirs is better than a home
version. If you have kept them for a few weeks in the fridge, did you
mosten them at all?

The first time I got them early, I kept them in the frig's crisper.
This year, however (mine arrived last week, too, and I'm zone 6), the
instructions said NOT to put them in a frig where other food was being
housed. To use an extra frig -- yeah, like everyone's got one of those
lying around ;-)

Anyway, I called the company and followed the directions. They said to
take them out of the plastic, wrap their roots in a damp paper towel
(1st yr the instructions were a damp towel), put them back in a plastic
bag so they don't dry out, and put them in a cool place like your
basement. They're in my basement now. I hope they keep.

Bobbett
--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Old 23-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Dianna Visek

I'm in zone 5b and our Cooperative Extension says to plant all
bareroot stock, including strawberries, the first week of April. I
did that last year, and my berries did fine. They looked quite
dormant when planted, but perked up and were showing green within a
week. So if you're in zone 6a, they probably sent them at the right
time.

Strawberries actually like cold weather, especially for getting
established. You don't have to worry about it going below 28.
They'll do fine. As long as your bed was reasonably prepared last
fall, you just need a trowel to plant them. So wet soil isn't that
bad (within limits, of course).

It may be damp, cool and uncomfortable for the gardener planting them,
but the strawberries will do fine.

Regards, Dianna

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:57:20 GMT, "Tim B" wrote:

[...]

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 24-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Sarah Sinclair

(Dianna Visek) wrote in message ...
[...]

Hello, has anyone had any success growing strawberries in containers
and if so what is the secret. Also, are you just meant to snip the
side shoots off as they appear?. Do they have a particular feed
preference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25-03-2003, 04:32 PM
rmw

Hi All, reply at the end.

Sarah Sinclair wrote in message
om...
[...]

you can grow strawberries in a 5" or 7" pot, I have some that have been out
side all winter in pots. I will bring them into the green house in a few
weeks to get early strawberries, all I will feed them with is manure water,
you do not need to take any side shoots off. if they form any runners put
them in another pot and peg down with a piece of stiff wire bent into a U
shape and it will produce another strawberrie plant. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 25-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:11:26 -0000, "rmw"
wrote:

you can grow strawberries in a 5" or 7" pot, I have some that have been out
side all winter in pots. I will bring them into the green house in a few
weeks to get early strawberries, all I will feed them with is manure water,
you do not need to take any side shoots off. if they form any runners put
them in another pot and peg down with a piece of stiff wire bent into a U
shape and it will produce another strawberrie plant. hope this helps you.

I take it you're in the UK (from your email address).

This winter, we had several nights with temperatures of -20F
(that's -29 C). We can expect these temperatures at least
once per winter.

I don't think we could grow strawberries in containers here,
do you?

I'd really love to be able to do it, I've not been able to
figure out a place to grow them otherwise.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 26-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:43:54 +0100, "rmw"
wrote:
I hope this makes sense and helps you. what do
you think ?. by the way I have the same idea in a green house with
pineaples in, but instead of manure I have a heating cable, but I doubt that
it would work at such low temperatures. best of luck if you give it a try.

Yes, it makes sense. I hope to have a small greenhouse
before next year. We have a 10' x 16' x 6' high chain-link
enclosure that we hope to convert to a greenhouse.

As to strawberries, they'll grow outdoors here in the
ground. I think it's better just not to try to grow them in
containers here.

Pat

bareroot question chelatna Roses 16 21-05-2003 11:44 PM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed Shiva Roses 6 04-04-2003 06:08 AM
Finally, the bareroot bloomed! Emil Roses 1 02-04-2003 10:32 PM
Dying bareroot Susan Solomon Roses 11 17-03-2003 02:56 AM
Cutting Back This Bareroot Rose Cdonahey41 Roses 1 13-03-2003 11:45 PM