Old 24-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Monique Reed

Default Cheap and easy labels

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

Monique in TX
Old 24-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Polar

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:42:53 -0600, Monique Reed
wrote:

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

Glad this is being posted. I have used them for years. Found a bunch
in somebody's trash bin. The ones I use are plastic; seem to do OK.

--
Polar
Old 27-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Setzler

another cheap, free, label source is sour cream and yogurt and cottage cheese
containers. Cut off the top and bottom and cut into strips.

susan

Old 27-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Pen

Home Depot usually have trimmed end pieces of blinds in their Decor
centre. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked to take some home.
Is there a method of engraving of embossing onto metal? I'd love to
make some permanent metal tags.
Old 28-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Anna Merchant

I use plastic icecream container lids. Also our local $2 shop sells packets
of labels which i find quite handy. Use a pencil and they are reusable.

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 30-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Reading about laminating seed labels reminds me of a good, cheap
source of durable plant labels. Old miniblind slats! Metal ones are
best. Cut to length with shears and mark with wax pencil or Sharpie.
You can even cut points on the bottoms and round the tops if you're so
minded.

OTOH, you can buy 80 6" plastic markers for $3.75 (+s&h) from

http://www.superseeds.com/planting_supplies.htm

These are doubtless available other places. Although, as I
web-searched, not as common as they once were. Of course, if one
*happens* to have been keeping old miniblinds around, and a pair of
heavy-duty shears, and an idle afternoon...