Old 24-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Polar

Default Radishes - my Waterloo

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar
Old 24-03-2003, 10:20 PM
simy1

Polar wrote in message . ..
I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

worrying too much about Rachel Curry, instead of gardening?
Old 25-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Hane

"Polar" wrote in message

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

I had the same problem until I began watering them every day. It gives them
a slight sweetness and they're huge at 30 days. This is from the same
seeds I used the previous year.

h-

Old 25-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Polar

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:30:30 GMT, "Hane" wrote:

"Polar" wrote in message
.. .

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

I had the same problem until I began watering them every day. It gives them
a slight sweetness and they're huge at 30 days. This is from the same
seeds I used the previous year.

Thanks. What zone are you, BTW? Wondering if same advice applies to
both of us, zone-wise?

--

Zone 24/8
So. Calif Coastal

Polar

Old 25-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Hane

"Polar" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:30:30 GMT, "Hane" wrote:

"Polar" wrote in message
.. .

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

I had the same problem until I began watering them every day. It gives them
a slight sweetness and they're huge at 30 days. This is from the same
seeds I used the previous year.

Thanks. What zone are you, BTW? Wondering if same advice applies to
both of us, zone-wise?

I'm in zone 9 but got the tip from Martha Stewart's tv show

h-

Old 25-03-2003, 05:32 PM
MacTech

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

Try planting your radishes as early as you can for your growing zone.
If they're planted later when the days are longer and warmer, they
seem to have a tendency to put their energy into growing tops and
going to seed, rather than growing the root underground.

LeAnn

http://ruralroute2.com
Old 25-03-2003, 11:20 PM
garigue

I always have good radishes because I plant with the moon cycle. My
grandfather always planted in reference with gravity wave influence. OK OK
maybe just maybe I also fertilize and water the heck out of them. I really
enjoy the Black Spanish variety. If you haven't tasted these then by all
means get some seeds. They are just excellent with a little salt, fresh
bread and of course beer.

God Bless all ....Tom nr Pittsburgh
"Hane" wrote in message

"Polar" wrote in message

I never have luck with radishes, a vegetable easily grown by
3rd graders. They get leggy, but never produce nice fruit. Out of a
whole bunch that took up my (limited) space, I harvested maybe a
measely 5-6 actual radishes.

What am I doing wrong??

I had the same problem until I began watering them every day. It gives

them
a slight sweetness and they're huge at 30 days. This is from the same
seeds I used the previous year.

h-

Single hole in all of my red radishes, why? Kelcey Gardening 3 14-09-2003 02:34 AM
radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM