Old 24-03-2003, 08:20 PM
IC_Gardener

Default planting in mulch

I just dug up another garden bed in a patch of existing lawn. Mostly,
I just dug down about 6 inches and turned the clump over, grass-side
down. Then, I edged the bed with boards and covered the entire bed
with coarse compost made of last years shredded leaves mixed with
grass clippings (the compost is only about half broken down).

My question is: Can I plant into such a coarse mulch, or do I need to
bring some dirt in? I know that I probably can't start seeds in it,
but could I transplant broccoli and cauliflower into that mulch? I'm
sure the entire root system of the plant would initially be entirely
surrounded by mulch, not soil.

Thanks for any replies!

IC Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A
Old 25-03-2003, 03:56 PM
simy1

(IC_Gardener) wrote in message . com...
I just dug up another garden bed in a patch of existing lawn. Mostly,
I just dug down about 6 inches and turned the clump over, grass-side
down. Then, I edged the bed with boards and covered the entire bed
with coarse compost made of last years shredded leaves mixed with
grass clippings (the compost is only about half broken down).

My question is: Can I plant into such a coarse mulch, or do I need to
bring some dirt in? I know that I probably can't start seeds in it,
but could I transplant broccoli and cauliflower into that mulch? I'm
sure the entire root system of the plant would initially be entirely
surrounded by mulch, not soil.

I do that all the time, and it works. Brassica are a special case
though that I will discuss below. I use an old tent stake to punch a
hole, and then I lower the plant. Two important things: if there is
some sort of taproot or longer root, make sure it does not fold on
itself, and if the compost is too coarse, consider pouring in some
dirt (in my case, mostly sand) to improve initial contact. Brassicas
also want firm support, because of their shallow root system and
windwaning, so you may consider planting them deep (to the first set
of leaves, patting them down good, and piling dirt around any new
stem. In all cases, finish by drowning the plant so that root contact
is further improved.

If you do it right the veggies will be undistinguishable from others
grown in a bed where you laboriously dug in manure. Further, because
there is more compost, and is less finished, your bed will be
fertilized over a longer period of time.
Old 25-03-2003, 11:44 PM
sharon

(simy1) wrote in message om...
[...]

Its all just trial and error with most things, you seem to learn by
trying different things. A bit like life really!! Happy Gardening!!!