GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ... (and tags) and bird feeder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/11560-re-tags-bird-feeder.html)

Glenna Rose 24-03-2003 10:44 PM

... (and tags) and bird feeder

writes:

The tomato labels shown on my web page were laminated and put in the

trays
of plants for Millennium Farms. They said they always sold the plants
with the photo labels first.

Glenna, I'd like to see these. Could you give us the URL,
please?

Sure, Pat. My garden web page is at:
http://home.pacifier.com/~glenna

The page has not been updated at all since around August so it's still
summertime at the page.g Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps. Last
year was not a good "pretty tomato" year in that I didn't have several
nice looking tomatoes of any one variety at a time to photograph together.

The tomato pix are at the very bottom. To see the label, click on the
thumbnails. The photos are composites of photos of tomatoes that I grew
that were purchased from M.F.'s greenhouse and certainly not all I have
grown, only the ones with prepared photos of varieties they offered for
sale last year. No color retouching, only deleting backgrounds and
combining to showed whole and sliced version with drop shadows added since
I erased the shadows when assembling the photos.

If anyone would like to print these for their own use (as labels), please
feel free to do so but leave photo credit in place. I would suggest,
however, to reduce the image size. These were prepared for display in
flats of plants.

Hopefully, once I'm past this difficult time of year for me, I'll get the
web page updated . . . I have two baby chicks which I bought a week and a
half ago for my two-month-long brooding hen. Mother and babies are doing
fine, and those babies are sooooo cute. :-) (And so are the
granddaughters when they visit those fuzzy creatures.)

I also had a request from someone for a photo of my bird feeder
installation and will get that on it also when the page is updated. Last
year, I purchased a gazebo birdfeeder and needed a way to install it
without the squirrels getting to it. I had read they cannot climb PVC
pipe because of gripping problems and had purchased a piece of 6-inch PVC
pipe as a post. Two 6-foot metal fence posts side by side provided a
sturdy, yet movable, base for the post but attaching the feeder was
another issue. A friend who was with me when I bought the feeder said he
had just the thing. We stopped at his house, and he brought out a toilet
flange! It is perfect. I attached it to the bottom of the feeder with
screws and the entire feeder can be lifted off the base easily for
cleaning, etc. I cut the PVC pipe to a 6-foot height and am able to lift
it off (barely) for service, and it's high enough the birds should be able
to escape cats. Best of all, the squirrels have not figured out how to
get to it. (It's not near any trees or fences.)

Oh, and the suggestion about the blinds for plant tags - I've often wished
I had an old mini-blind to use for just that. I have some ancient
wood-slated ones that I use for various paint/silkscreen projects but am
concerned they might lead-based paint might be on them. Plastic or metal
mini-blinds is a great idea. An advantage of the plastic or metal blind
slats is that they will "rise above" the plant so we don't have to look
for the name. :-)

Glenna

Pat Meadows 25-03-2003 01:08 PM

... (and tags) and bird feeder

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:20:45 -0800, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

writes:

The tomato labels shown on my web page were laminated and put in the

trays
of plants for Millennium Farms. They said they always sold the plants
with the photo labels first.

Glenna, I'd like to see these. Could you give us the URL,
please?

Sure, Pat. My garden web page is at:
http://home.pacifier.com/~glenna

The page has not been updated at all since around August so it's still
summertime at the page.g

Thanks. I'll look at it as soon as my eyes are opened
enough to see (it's 7 am and I just woke up). It's spring!
:) Allergy season. :(

Oh, and the suggestion about the blinds for plant tags - I've often wished
I had an old mini-blind to use for just that. I have some ancient
wood-slated ones that I use for various paint/silkscreen projects but am
concerned they might lead-based paint might be on them. Plastic or metal
mini-blinds is a great idea. An advantage of the plastic or metal blind
slats is that they will "rise above" the plant so we don't have to look
for the name. :-)

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

You could almost go out and BUY a mini-blind - they're not
very costly. Maybe ask neighbors, friends if they have an
old one?

I have one. It's at a 'dead window' in our bedroom. The
window is into the garage, which was a later addition to the
house. I could make curtains for the window instead... and
use the mini-blind for the garden.

Pat

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Pat Meadows 25-03-2003 02:44 PM

... (and tags) and bird feeder

Rose) wrote:

writes:

The tomato labels shown on my web page were laminated and put in the

trays
of plants for Millennium Farms. They said they always sold the plants
with the photo labels first.

Glenna, I'd like to see these. Could you give us the URL,
please?

Sure, Pat. My garden web page is at:
http://home.pacifier.com/~glenna

Thanks again, Glenna. Great photos - I can see how they'd
make terrific plant labels.

I'm always slightly envious of the PNW folks - seems like a
gardener's Eden. Plus a cook's Eden.

Pat