Old 25-03-2003, 11:08 AM
jim

Default peas - dou miu

Hello,

I need advice on growing peas, i want to grow the variety that is used in
Chinese cooking called Dou Miu. I believe they are of the snow peas variety
although i have come across infomation on the web saying that pea shoots
from any or most varieties can be used for this dish and again i've also
found stuff on the web saying that not all pea shoots & pods are edible? can
someone tell me what i should be growing for dou mui?

thanks

Old 25-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Penny Morgan

The ones I have grown are just called "Snow Peas" or "Oriental Snow Peas".
They are the flat peas used in stir fries. If you allow them to grow
too large though, you will get some that are tough tasting and they will
have some large peas inside. It's just like cucumbers; when you forget to
pick one (usually hiding somewhere), they get large and seedy. The snow
peas are very tender and sweet. Trust me, I don't like regular snap peas.
I've always disliked their flavor for some reason. Sort of like cooked
cabbage.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 25-03-2003, 01:56 PM
jim

Thank you Penny for your advice, i will look for snow peas as recommended.

Jim
ummm??.... Zone 2 - London underground transport map, UK.

. ..

Old 25-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Keith Karausky

Sort of like cooked
cabbage.

Hummmmm...
Old 27-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Setzler

If you are after pea shoots, you need to find organic seed, preferably, of any
kind of edible pea, and sprout them in soil and cut when they are 6 " or so. It
doesn't matter whether they are the snow peas or shell peas, or sugar snaps, as
it is the shoot you are eating, not the pea.

susan

Old 30-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:06:36 -0000, "jim" wrote:

I need advice on growing peas, i want to grow the variety that is used in
Chinese cooking called Dou Miu. I believe they are of the snow peas variety
although i have come across infomation on the web saying that pea shoots
from any or most varieties can be used for this dish and again i've also
found stuff on the web saying that not all pea shoots & pods are edible? can
someone tell me what i should be growing for dou mui?

Hmm. Interesting web search. It appears as if the most common source
for dau miu is an Oriental grocery store. :-) Having never snipped
off the tips of young pea vines, I don't know if these would be raised
like seed (alfalfa, mung bean) 'sprouts' -- one seed to one sprout --
or 'cut-and-come-again' like pinching the tops of basil plants.

I'm guessing that any ol' tender, young pea shoots could be used. I've
never heard of any kind of pea foliage being inedible. "Edible" pod
peas are pretty much varieties intended to be harvested with a young,
tender pod and immature peas -- 'snow' peas and many varieties of
'sugar snap' types. The pods of regular peas are probably *safe* to
eat, just not very appetizing. The only caveat I would have is that if
the seed is included (as it is in 'sprouts'), it shouldn't be the sort
treated with a fungicide, as many vegetable seeds are.