Old 26-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Shumway orders, anyone?

I'd like to hear what kind of turnaround people have had with seed orders
this spring.

On March 7th, I placed an order with R. H. Shumway's and was told two
items were backordered and would ship later. I was not told of any delay
for the remainder of the shipment. Finally today (March 25th), I called
about the status of my order.

I was told they were "three weeks behind and it will be next week before
your order is shipped." She very generously will "expedite" my order
after I told her I was given no indication at the time of ordering there
was any delay and certainly not that shipment wouldn't even happen for
three or four weeks.

Perhaps I've been very spoiled by all other merchandise I've ordered by
mail, always receiving it within a week, usually three days. I'm not
accustomed to the casual attitude about an order not having been shipped
over two weeks after it was ordered (and being told it will be another
week before it's shipped and 7 to 10 days for delivery!). Geez, by the
time it gets here, I can buy half-grown plants at the nursery. Honestly,
in past years, some of my tomato plants have already been in the ground
prior to the end of March, and most of my plants by mid-April (harvested
broccoli and cauliflower in June and tomato plants six feet tall with no
special care).

It may have been wiser to drive to Territorial Seed Company which is about
150 miles due south.

I've always purchased seeds locally and not by mail. Is it common to wait
several weeks before your merchandise is even shipped?

Glenna

Old 26-03-2003, 12:44 AM
RTCroskery

Good point. I'm begging to get a bit worried about an order I sent to
Marshalls over three weeks ago. Are other people having difficulty with Mail
order stuff?

Old 26-03-2003, 12:44 AM
George Shirley

I had problems three years ago with Shumway sending me the wrong seeds
and refusing to make good on the order. That's when I decided not to
order from them again.

I don't own stock in these companies but have always gotten what I
ordered and in a reasonable time frame: Pinetree Seeds, Johnny's Select
Seed, and Burpee's. All have a web presence.

George

Old 26-03-2003, 01:32 AM
George Shirley

I really like Pinetree, main reason is because I don't have to order 200
seeds of something to try it, Pinetree sells in smaller packets. Pat is
right about the service too. A few years ago they were in the midst of a
ice storm that shut off their electricity and they worked in parkas with
flashlights to get their orders out. This year they sent me someone
else's seeds, I emailed them about it and sent the seeds on to the
original purchaser as the invoice was in the package. Pinetree sent me
four packs of seeds to cover my "costs." That was something they didn't
have to do but did it anyway.

George

Pat Meadows wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:07:52 -0800, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

I'd like to hear what kind of turnaround people have had with seed orders
this spring.

This spring, I've ordered seeds by mail from Pinetree Garden
Seeds and Evergreen Seeds.

Both orders arrived within about a week.

Pinetree back-ordered one item (out of about 40), and
shipped it two weeks later.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:

Old 26-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:23:28 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

I really like Pinetree, main reason is because I don't have to order 200
seeds of something to try it, Pinetree sells in smaller packets. Pat is
right about the service too. A few years ago they were in the midst of a
ice storm that shut off their electricity and they worked in parkas with
flashlights to get their orders out. This year they sent me someone
else's seeds, I emailed them about it and sent the seeds on to the
original purchaser as the invoice was in the package. Pinetree sent me
four packs of seeds to cover my "costs." That was something they didn't
have to do but did it anyway.

That's why I ordered from Pinetree - the smaller quantities
and lower prices. I had not ordered from them before, but
other people had recommended them to me.

I only want to wind up with 2 Early Girl Tomato plants, 2
Better Boys and 2 Sweet Millions - I don't need a whole
bunch of seeds for them.

Pinetree - http://www.superseeds.com/

And Evergreen is (by far) the best source of Oriental
vegetable seeds of which I'm aware. By far. Orders of
magnitude better than others I'm aware of.

I've used Evergreen's seeds before, and they have always
worked well for me.

http://www.evergreenseeds.com

I particularly enjoy growing (and eating!) the Chinese
veggies.

So far this season, I've started two kinds of lettuce seeds,
bok choy, choy sum, cilantro, Swiss chard, Red Robin
tomatoes (miniature tomatoes that will grow in 8" pots -
I've grown them before and it's really true), and Early Girl
tomatoes. Many more to come soon.

Pat
Old 26-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Heather Humpleman

I ordered from Shumway last year but wait for weeks(5-10 weeks) and
nothing happened. So I called and cancelled most stuff. This year
I learned from my mistake, so I ordered very early on from Johnny's, Park
Seed, Pinetree, Evergreen and have no problem, everything arrived
within a week.
Funny enough this year Shumway wrote a long letter in their catalog and
apologizing for last year problem, they said they fixed the problem due
to changing seed wherehouse or some lame excuse like that. I went
ahead and ordered some from them just to see what happened and surely
enough some were late, not all, but some were delay for weeks. I don't think
I get all of my seeds yet.
I think I will not order from them anymore, I gave them more than one
chance.
Quyen

Old 26-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Glenna Rose said:

I've always purchased seeds locally and not by mail. Is it common to wait
several weeks before your merchandise is even shipped?

A lot depends on when you order. Ordering in early January is usually faster than
ordering in February or March from just about anybody. If a catalog shows them
going to extended hours for phone orders at some date, that's a clue for when they
get *really* busy. Order *before* that date.

Ordering with a credit card is faster than by check. I prefer to order by phone
(even if they don't have a toll-free number -- I've got pretty cheap long distance
rates). It saves time in the turn-around (and less chance of error).

Shumway's is associated with Seymour's and Vermont Bean Seed. In my
experience, ok but not necessarily top notch. Territorial, Johnny's, Pinetree
are all great. Stokes is also top notch, and quick as long as you order early.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Alice Gamewell

R.H. Shumway sent me seeds that were packaged to be sold in stores(some off
brand) and on top of that they were dated packaged for 2002. Since I ordered
very early this year I guess I got their
oldest seeds.

Old 27-03-2003, 02:20 AM
FarmerDill

Shumway's is associated with Seymour's and Vermont Bean Seed. In my
experience, ok but not necessarily top notch. Territorial, Johnny's,
Pinetree
are all great. Stokes is also top notch, and quick as long as you order
early.

Actually Jung took over Shumways about three years ago. They had problems last
year and during the off-season moved to Wisconsin so they supposedly would have
better service. sounds like it didn't happen. Of course many companies which
are experiencing rapid turnovers in ownership have this type of problem. When
Shumway was in Graniteville SC, they supplied the PYO growers right out of the
plant, so there was no trouble to pick up the bulk seeds. Under Jung, they are
strictly mailorder and the only reason that I can think of to order from them
is that they carry some of the older hard to find varieties, They seem to be
abandoning those as well.

dill
Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Ray Normandeau

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message ...
Glenna Rose said:

I've always purchased seeds locally and not by mail. Is it common to wait
several weeks before your merchandise is even shipped?

A lot depends on when you order. Ordering in early January is usually faster than
ordering in February or March from just about anybody. If a catalog shows them
going to extended hours for phone orders at some date, that's a clue for when they
get *really* busy. Order *before* that date.

Ordering with a credit card is faster than by check. I prefer to order by phone
(even if they don't have a toll-free number -- I've got pretty cheap long distance

I recently starting using
https://www.onesuite.com/ long distance at
2.9 cents per minute for USA calls and to Canada for 3.5. It is
basically a prepaid phone card but you can do away with the PIN for
calls from home. No monthly fee or minimum. There is a surchage for
calls from payphones. If you use the promotion code "034720367" we
both get some free miniutes.

Being frugal, I get ISP for ISP for $5.75 a month: from
http://www.neandertech.com/ .

Invalid Email above, but you may reach me via List owner at:

Seed orders The Cook Edible Gardening 1 06-02-2005 02:46 AM
Gardening Plants & Supplies! Place your orders now for Spring Shipping! Earl Buchan Gardening 1 09-12-2003 04:12 AM
Trees/Preservation Orders/Shade and proximity to houses Mark Bridgett United Kingdom 8 05-06-2003 10:20 AM
Shumway order arrived Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 2 30-03-2003 08:20 PM
Ordered from Shumway? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 7 10-03-2003 03:56 PM