GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Buttercrunch Lettuce (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/11712-buttercrunch-lettuce.html)

Bunny McElwee 26-03-2003 08:08 AM

Buttercrunch Lettuce

I am growing Buttercrunch Lettuce in containers. How will I know when to
harvest, and exactly how do I harvest? Is this a lettuce that I can take a
few leaves from at a time and it will continue growing new growth throughout
the season or do I have to wait until it reaches a maturity? This is the
first time I have grown any types of lettuce, I've only grown cucs, squash,
toms, jal. peppers, herbs, garlic, onions before now. Thanks in advance!

--
Bunny McElwee

'91 Mariner Blue - BlueFlash (we call her Blue for short G)
License Plate - IXCLR8
Jackson Racing Cold Air Induction, chrome interior accents, Racing Beat
Chrome Double Hoop Style Bar,
FM Sway Bars, Heim End Links, Koni Adjustable Shocks (lowest perch),
JR Sport Exhaust, JR Cat, Moss Headers, JVC MP3 Player, Bazooka Powered
Subwoofer with internal 4 Channel Amp, silly grin (driver and car!) and too
much more to list.

Jan Flora 27-03-2003 12:56 AM

Buttercrunch Lettuce

In article , "Bunny McElwee"
wrote:

I am growing Buttercrunch Lettuce in containers. How will I know when to
harvest, and exactly how do I harvest? Is this a lettuce that I can take a
few leaves from at a time and it will continue growing new growth throughout
the season or do I have to wait until it reaches a maturity? This is the
first time I have grown any types of lettuce, I've only grown cucs, squash,
toms, jal. peppers, herbs, garlic, onions before now. Thanks in advance!

--
Bunny McElwee

Wait til the plants get 6 or 8" high, then pinch outer leaves off
to eat. The plants will keep growing. The outer leaves are older;
lettuce grows from the middle.

I put Red Sails and other lettuce in pots with pansies, for "edible
landscaping," next to the door of my house. (I eat the lettuce. The
pansies just look nice.)

Jan

Bunny McElwee 03-04-2003 05:56 PM

Buttercrunch Lettuce

Thank you for the response to my inquiry about the lettuce. I just
harvested a whole BUNCH of it (I got a little behind in my garden chores)
and had a wonderful salad for lunch today. Its absolutely wonderful! Looks
like it would be awesome on sandwiches to. I do have one other question. How
do I go about storing the leaves I didn't eat? I've washed them all and put
them in a Tupperware container with papertowels on the bottom and in between
in layers of the leaves. How long can I expect them to keep? In the future,
I plan on harvesting as needed, but got behind and had to harvest WAY more
than I can eat in a single day.

Polar 03-04-2003 10:44 PM

Buttercrunch Lettuce

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:25:30 -0500, "Bunny McElwee"
wrote:

Thank you for the response to my inquiry about the lettuce. I just
harvested a whole BUNCH of it (I got a little behind in my garden chores)
and had a wonderful salad for lunch today. Its absolutely wonderful! Looks
like it would be awesome on sandwiches to. I do have one other question. How
do I go about storing the leaves I didn't eat? I've washed them all and put
them in a Tupperware container with papertowels on the bottom and in between
in layers of the leaves. How long can I expect them to keep? In the future,
I plan on harvesting as needed, but got behind and had to harvest WAY more
than I can eat in a single day.

How about sharing with neighbors or a food bank?

[...]

--
Polar