Old 27-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Jan Flora

Default Siberian tomatoes? poppy seeds

In article , zxcvbob wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

Do poppy seeds germinate better if you put them in the freezer for a
little while before planting them?

Jan

Probably. I think you're really supposed to plant them very early in the
spring, so they will get frosted a few times before the ground warms up.

Best regards,
Bob

Okay. I'm in Alaska, so we're in no danger of running out of frosty weather
any time soon. It snowed here the other day.

I was thinking of scattering some seed out where I want it, right now, on top
of the snow, and planting some in six packs in the house, and see which does
best. Then if that all fails, I can buy some 6 packs at the nursery in town
in May : )

Oh, since this is the edible ng, I'm just now starting 'mater seed, peppers
and everything else. It's a little late, but what the heck... Do any of you
guys grow any of the Siberian tomato varieties? I'm going to try a couple
of them. (Stupice, Galina, Aurora, and Sasha's Altai.)

Jan
USDA zone 3
Old 27-03-2003, 12:44 AM
zxcvbob

Jan Flora wrote:

In article , zxcvbob wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

Poppies do not transplant well at all.

I planted foxgloves and petunias in identical flats and I forgot to
label them. The just came up and they look about the same! I don't
know which is which. I think the bigger seedlings are the petunias,
although their seeds were smaller. Hopefully I can tell them apart when
they get a little bigger.

I'm growing Better Boy, Stupice, Tiger Tom, and Principe Borghese
tomatoes this year. I also planted some Rutgers seeds 'cuz I just
couldn't pass up the 10 cent packet of seeds. I'll give all the Rutgers
plants away, although I'll probably keep 1 or 2 plants. The Stupice and
Tiger Tom seeds are not actually planted yet; I just put them in wet
paper towels in a warm place last night, and I'll plant them tomorrow.
The others are up already.

You might be a little late with the peppers, but (imho) you are not late
with the tomatoes. I'm just a little late (zone 4).

Best regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join
the search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/
Old 31-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Jan Flora

In article , zxcvbob wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

In article , zxcvbob

wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of scattering some seed out where I want it, right now,

on top
of the snow, and planting some in six packs in the house, and see which does
best. Then if that all fails, I can buy some 6 packs at the nursery in town
in May : )

Oh, since this is the edible ng, I'm just now starting 'mater seed, peppers
and everything else. It's a little late, but what the heck... Do any of you
guys grow any of the Siberian tomato varieties? I'm going to try a couple
of them. (Stupice, Galina, Aurora, and Sasha's Altai.)

Jan
USDA zone 3

Poppies do not transplant well at all.

Okay. Have you seen the Himalayian blue poppy? A nursery
here sells them and they just thrive in this climate. Gorgeous!

I planted foxgloves and petunias in identical flats and I forgot to
label them. The just came up and they look about the same! I don't
know which is which. I think the bigger seedlings are the petunias,
although their seeds were smaller. Hopefully I can tell them apart when
they get a little bigger.

Oops. Maybe the petunia seedlings will get that tell-tale scent early, so
you can figure out which flat is which... *g*

I'm growing Better Boy, Stupice, Tiger Tom, and Principe Borghese
tomatoes this year. I also planted some Rutgers seeds 'cuz I just
couldn't pass up the 10 cent packet of seeds. I'll give all the Rutgers
plants away, although I'll probably keep 1 or 2 plants. The Stupice and
Tiger Tom seeds are not actually planted yet; I just put them in wet
paper towels in a warm place last night, and I'll plant them tomorrow.
The others are up already.

Hmm. Never heard of Tiger Tom or Principe Borghese. I'll have to go
look those up. Tomatoes are such a total crapshoot up here, that it's
fun to try new varieties, in that eternal search for the perfect 'mater.

You might be a little late with the peppers, but (imho) you are not late
with the tomatoes. I'm just a little late (zone 4).

I'll buy the bell pepper starts in town. I like to start a couple of
semi-hot Siberian pepper plants every spring. They last all winter
long on the kitchen windowsill, produce peppers all winter and look nice.

Best regards,
Bob

Jan
zone 3