GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zuchini seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/12129-zuchini-seedlings.html)

Tempus Fugitive 29-03-2003 02:08 AM

Zuchini seedlings

I have started some zucs from seed (dwarf upright bush type) and the
sprouts are about 4-6 inches and starting to get their second set of
leaves. I'm not sure when I can start hardening them off to put out
in my raised beds. I'm in the Seattle area so there's no danger of
frost anymore. I'm only keeping one bush so I guess I can afford a
little trial and error, but any help would be appreciated.

Frankhartx 29-03-2003 03:20 AM

Zuchini seedlings

From: (Tempus Fugitive)

I have started some zucs from seed (dwarf upright bush type) and the
sprouts are about 4-6 inches and starting to get their second set of
leaves. I'm not sure when I can start hardening them off to put out
in my raised beds. I'm in the Seattle area so there's no danger of
frost anymore. I'm only keeping one bush so I guess I can afford a
little trial and error, but any help would be appreciated.

Squash is a warm weather crop--just the absence of frost is not a criterion--I
am not familiar with the northwest but considering your latitude i would think
you have jumped the gun and your planting is a waste of time.as you will not be
able to hold the plants until good outdoor planting time. here in the mid
atlantic squash is planted around mid May.

Dwayne 29-03-2003 04:08 AM

Zuchini seedlings

I would stick one out now and start. I put mine outside as soon as they
come out of the ground if it is warm enough. Then I bring them in at night,
and take them back out the next day. By the time they are big enough to
plant, they are well hardened off. Dwayne

om...

Dave&Dana Gaunky 29-03-2003 06:08 AM

Zuchini seedlings

Dwayne,
I'm in southern California and
I started mine about a month ago. I some have barrels with plenty of mulch.
They seem to have no problem here. An for the first few weeks it got down
to mid 40's low 50's at night. Just make sure you mulch good.

Dave

yew 30-03-2003 09:44 AM

Zuchini seedlings

"Tempus Fugitive" wrote:
I'm in the Seattle area so there's no danger of
frost anymore.

Er...far as I know, Seattle's last frost date is mid to late April. While
it's unlikely you'll get a serious frost now, it's far from impossible.
Additionally, the soil and nighttime temps aren't warm enough to support
squash.

I live north of you in Stanwood, and I don't plant zuchs until the first of
June. Fortunately, they grow fast and really take off then.

Brina