GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   In Mourning for my Peas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/12158-mourning-my-peas.html)

Anna Merchant 29-03-2003 06:56 AM

In Mourning for my Peas

Well, I had been wondering over the past few weeks why my pea plants werent
thriving in the containers I had them in, in fact they properly died last
week. Curled up all brown, covered themselves in PM, and hit the hay for the
final time.

So.. tonight I go out to take them out of their pots, and replace them with
rocket lettuce i'm growing for my stepmum. Well, i pulled down their
supports, and started to take the plants out, and got up to get a tool, and
noticed a few ants coming out of the bottom of the pot.

Well, to cut a long story short, both the pots were totally infested with an
ant nest each :( The soil was thick, and white with ant eggs, and seething
with the things. No wonder the plants didnt survive. They had such a small
root base when i pulled them out.. poor things. They didnt have a chance.

So I threw the soil on the garden (one that I dont use, ever), and sprayed
it with fly spray to kill off as many as I could. Don't want lots of ant
nests around here, we have enough as it is.

So, yeah. Makes me sad, cos they were the first plants to sprout this year.

--
Anna Merchant
http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz

FDR 29-03-2003 02:44 PM

In Mourning for my Peas

I think ants did in my Zucchini plant last year. I don't know what I'm
going to do about it until I dig upthe infested spot.