Old 30-03-2003, 03:56 AM
The Ranger

Default Nectarine Tree: Leaf Predator

I have a budding nectarine sapling. It's doing beautifully, budding and
blooming, sprouting with bright green growths every day. I noticed that the
lowest branches (about 24" - 26" off the ground) are being made into fine
examples of green lace. I checked every branch, behind every leaf, around
every new growth and could find no worms present. I found some of those
annoying little fly-gnats and dealt with them accordingly.

I'd like to solicit you experts for an idea of what to look for or perhaps
assist the tree in fending off this latest parasite. I'm living in Zone 9.

Many thanks.

The Ranger
--
The 56k modem teaches us patience, humility, and the love of quiet
contemplation, grasshopper.

Old 30-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

The Ranger said:

I have a budding nectarine sapling. It's doing beautifully, budding and
blooming, sprouting with bright green growths every day. I noticed that the
lowest branches (about 24" - 26" off the ground) are being made into fine
examples of green lace. I checked every branch, behind every leaf, around
every new growth and could find no worms present. I found some of those
annoying little fly-gnats and dealt with them accordingly.

Lace-like tattering of new leaves with no pest visible in the daylight suggests
earwigs. Slugs are another possibility. A close examination at night is probably
in order.

A soap solution sprayed directly on the earwigs kills them quickly. You can
spray them while they are out (at night) or spray their refuges (bark mulch,
crack in wood structures of any sort) during the day. Various sorts of traps
can also be made. (Check the archives at Google for more info on earwig traps.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)