Old 30-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Rob Smith

Default Monster Strawberrys?

I got a letter from Gurney's the other day advertising a "new hybrid"
strawberry. It looked to be the size of your fist. I think I might try
them. Have any of you seen this before or are they truly "new"? If you
have, are they any good?

Thanks,

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com

Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Frankhartx

From: "Rob Smith" rfsmith@-removethis before

I got a letter from Gurney's the other day advertising a "new hybrid"
strawberry. It looked to be the size of your fist. I think I might try
them. Have any of you seen this before or are they truly "new"? If you
have, are they any good?

So far, just about all of the huge strawberries introduced are big, pretty and
with little flavor.
Old 30-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Setzler

that would be my experience. THe huge berries in the stores are utterly
tasteless.

susan

Old 30-03-2003, 02:20 PM
The Cook

"Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this before sending-alltel.net wrote:

I got a letter from Gurney's the other day advertising a "new hybrid"
strawberry. It looked to be the size of your fist. I think I might try
them. Have any of you seen this before or are they truly "new"? If you
have, are they any good?

Thanks,

It is my theory that there is a certain amount of flavor in a
strawberry and the larger the berry, the more the flavor is diluted.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 30-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Judy and Dave G

From: "Rob Smith" rfsmith@-removethis before

I got a letter from Gurney's the other day advertising a "new hybrid"
strawberry. It looked to be the size of your fist. I think I might try
them. Have any of you seen this before or are they truly "new"? If you
have, are they any good?

So far, just about all of the huge strawberries introduced are big, pretty

and
with little flavor.

I have been getting some fresh strawberries from Sam's Club. (Can only buy
them if you are there just after the truck delivered them ;o} ) Anyway,
they are huge, and taste wonderful. Both hubby and I have been pleasantly
surprised. I bought them to use for a pie, where the filling gives it more
flavor. Not a one survived the eat out of your hands.

And, sucker though I may be, I ordered some of these from Gurney's.

Judy

Old 31-03-2003, 01:32 AM
James Mayer

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:31:05 GMT, "Rob Smith" rfsmith@-remove this
before sending-alltel.net wrote:

I got a letter from Gurney's the other day advertising a "new hybrid"
strawberry. It looked to be the size of your fist. I think I might try
them. Have any of you seen this before or are they truly "new"? If you
have, are they any good?

Thanks,

I don't know if they are any good but I got the same ad with all
the same paperwork from Stark Bro's.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 AM
John Savage

Setzler writes:
that would be my experience. THe huge berries in the stores are utterly
tasteless.

Tasteless, yes, but you must admit they keep well and don't bruise easily!

My theory is that they seem so tasteless because they have a low natural
sugar content. So I slice them thinly, sprinkle with sugar, stir, and let
stand for half an hour. Then when eaten with icecream or yogurt they
contribute a lot more flavour. From this, I conclude the berries do have
the strawberry flavour, but you just can't taste it without the natural
sugars.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 04-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Pen

Our native strawberry (Fragaria virginiana) is the best tasting of
them all. Half the size of an alpine berry -- about as large as a
pea. Smells like strawberry cotton candy.

The entire fruit is red. Maybe the flavour is in the red parts. A
large berry only has a thin red skin, the rest is white.