Old 30-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Glenn Letsch

Default Sour Oranges?? Help!

We live in Walnut Creek California
We planted an (Dwarf?) orange tree several years ago.
It is bearing an immense amount of fruit
but the oranges are VERY VERY sour, even if you leave them on the tree
til they are deep orange. It doens't matter how long they stay on the
tree
They are not edible.

Is there anything we can do to make them edible?
Even for next season?

Thanks
Glenn L

Old 30-03-2003, 08:20 PM
George Shirley

Make marmalade out of them, that's the only suggestion I have. I don't
think you can make a sour orange edible.

George

Old 31-03-2003, 05:56 AM
mike

Dance around it on full moons and at the solstices. Getting sweet
oranges is a function of mystery. It's all about climate, and of course
variety.

Old 31-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Frank

I live in Florida and I have a tree with the same problem. After
endless searching and contacting those in the know, I discovered that
the primary reason is that the root or base plant which is the lower
of the graft section is always sour. The upper graft, the flowering
section, the sweet type of orange we hope to continue in growth.
However in some cases the lower primary plant becomes dominant over
the entire tree and the oranges become sour. And that's the
truth.......Not much one can do.

Old 01-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Otto Jones

you have a sour orange - there is nothing you can do to improve it. options
are; pull it out and start over with a known variety from a citrus dealer -
or - obtain several varieties of cuttings, cut the tree down leaving 1 ft of
stump and try grafting in the cuttings
good luck
Otto - Orlando - Orange County - FL
om...

Old 03-04-2003, 01:08 AM
John Savage

(Glenn Letsch) writes:
We live in Walnut Creek California
We planted an (Dwarf?) orange tree several years ago.
It is bearing an immense amount of fruit
but the oranges are VERY VERY sour, even if you leave them on the tree
til they are deep orange. It doens't matter how long they stay on the
tree
They are not edible.

Is there anything we can do to make them edible?
Even for next season?

Is it the tree that is dwarf, or the fruit? There are some varieties
of orange that are very bitter, they are suitable only for making
marmalade--and they make superb marmalade. Seville I think is one.

Your use of the word "immense" suggests that you might have a cumquot
not an orange. Cumquots are like small oranges or mandarins, are very
sour despite their deep orange colour, are typically borne in immense
numnbers on small trees, and can be made into the most delicious
marmalade that you could ever taste.

I have heard it's possible to sweeten fruit from a very sour lemon
by watering some copper sulfate solution around the dripline of the
tree, so you could try this sparingly to see whether it has a
similar effect on citrus in general. It would effect the next crop,
I presume. But I think the best advice is to find a few marmalade
recipes and start cooking. You might be able carve out a name for
yourself in homemade marmalades!
--
John Savage, Sydney (newsgroup email invalid; keep replies in newsgroup)

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 AM
George Shirley

John Savage wrote:

(Glenn Letsch) writes:
[...]

Ah, but not all kumquats are very sour or even sour at all. I have two,
one has sweet, round fruit that is seedy. The other has oblong fruit
that is slightly sour but seedless. The first is a grafted dwarf, the
second would grow very tall if I didn't keep it pruned.

George