Old 31-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Ninja Daisy

Default What makes a "Jersey Tomato" ??

Howdy folks -

I grew up in South Jersey, and have spent my adult years living not too far away (in the Phila. Suburbs). Today, a friend who also grew up in this area called me. She recently bought a house near San Francisco - complete with a big, sunny back yard for gar
dening - and she told me that she wants to grow tomatoes like the "Jersey Tomatoes" that are sold in the NJ/PA/DE region during the summer. She's lived on the west coast for over 4 years now, but insists that she has yet to taste a good tomato there - and
that includes fresh-from-the-garden ones grown by friends or purchased at farmers' markets.

Does anyone know what makes a "Jersey Tomato," and is there anything that my friend can do to replicate them in her west coast backyard? Is it a specific variety (Beefsteak? Big Boy?), or should she try conditioning her soil in a particular way? Or - do yo
u think that there's an un-duplicable something about the mid-atlantic climate that gives the tomatoes their flavor? I looked through some previous posts in the group, and saw a few posts about companion planting - maybe that will help.

Also - if you live in the Bay area and have grown yourself some tasty tomatoes, please share what varieties you've found to be the tastiest. Any other technical or logistical advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! - Ali

Old 31-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:26:56 -0800
(PST), Ninja Daisy ] scribbled:

Jersey Tomato

Please fix your line lengths, it makes you message difficult to
read.

A simple search in Google brought up:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/liv...th/4864681.htm

Pam

"ElissaAnn"
Old 31-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pat Meadows

] wrote:

Does anyone know what makes a "Jersey Tomato," and is there anything that my friend can do to replicate them in her west coast backyard? Is it a specific variety (Beefsteak? Big Boy?), or should she try conditioning her soil in a particular way? Or - do y

ou think that there's an un-duplicable something about the mid-atlantic climate that gives the tomatoes their flavor? I looked through some previous posts in the group, and saw a few posts about companion planting - maybe that will help.

My guess is it's the weather/climate. I've grown (and
bought) spectacularly good tomatoes in South Jersey and
Delaware.

Now I'm in a colder, less humid climate and the tomatoes are
disappointing by comparison - less taste.

Your friend might try growing the variety 'Rutgers' - those
are certainly Jersey tomatoes. Or she might try growing her
tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse to provide them more heat
and humidity than they'll otherwise get. I don't know if
this would help.

Pat

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Bob Provencher

My guess is that Jersey weather (hot, humid summers) make a Jersey Tomato.
I guess any hot climate near the ocean would be pretty close. Why not just
buy a good variety of beef tomatos and see what happens? Maybe the ones
you have tasted are no good because they are hot house or store bought ones!

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Old 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Two x over

uhmmm...
being a joisey bred, born, and living girl myself..
i would say, what makes a joisey tomato, a joisey tomato, is being grown in
JOISEY!
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

Old 01-04-2003, 10:56 PM
FDR

Hey, what exit are you?

I used to be at exit 150.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Steve Calvin

Two x over wrote:
uhmmm...
being a joisey bred, born, and living girl myself..
i would say, what makes a joisey tomato, a joisey tomato, is being grown in
JOISEY!
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

yeah, the chemical waste helps alot! ;-) (notice the smiley please)

--
Steve

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Two x over

oh gawd...a "what exit" question! actually, i now live in the boonies of south
jersey---exit 7 on the turnpike, then another 40 miles south.

used to be exit 10 on the turnpike or exit 140 something....(watchung
area...off 78)

and no, its not all a chemical waste site!
Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 AM
ninjadaisy

Thanx to everyone for their replies, and my apologies for the formatting
on the initial message. My usual news account went down, and I was
posting thru a mail2news gateway - obviously, something that I have yet
to master.

thx again - Ali (who grew up only a few short miles from exit 5)
Old 03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Steve Calvin

Two x over wrote:
oh gawd...a "what exit" question! actually, i now live in the boonies of south
jersey---exit 7 on the turnpike, then another 40 miles south.

used to be exit 10 on the turnpike or exit 140 something....(watchung
area...off 78)

and no, its not all a chemical waste site!
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"

I was just bustin' chops. I live in Poughkeepsie NY... talk about a
chemical waste site.... :-(

--
Steve