GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Full shade - herbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/12383-full-shade-herbs.html)

Aprill 31-03-2003 02:08 AM

Full shade - herbs

Hi all,

I have recently moved into an apartment. We have a balcony but due to
the aspect and the balcony overhead we dont get any rays of sun in there
at all. It's light but no sun. I'd love to grow herbs but i fear the
lack of sun will kill them all off. Do you have any recommendations for
edibles that can tolerate full shade ?

thanks,
Aprill

Pat Meadows 31-03-2003 02:56 PM

Full shade - herbs

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:55:26 +1000, Aprill
wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently moved into an apartment. We have a balcony but due to
the aspect and the balcony overhead we dont get any rays of sun in there
at all. It's light but no sun. I'd love to grow herbs but i fear the
lack of sun will kill them all off. Do you have any recommendations for
edibles that can tolerate full shade ?

I think you'd be better off to buy some fluorescent lights
and grow your herbs indoors -- or in a sunny windowsill, if
you have one. (Probably not, most of the apartments I lived
in only had one exposure and if your balcony gets no sun,
probably your windows won't either.)

You can certainly grow a variety of herbs under fluorescent
lights. You could grow some salad greens too - various
lettuce or mesclun mix.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Audrey 02-04-2003 10:32 AM

Full shade - herbs

Spearmint (and probably other mints?) will thrive. I've had good
success with parsley and chives in full shade too.