GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When do I start planting container tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/123854-when-do-i-start-planting-container-tomatoes.html)

greenthumb 24-02-2006 12:03 PM

When do I start planting container tomatoes

I'm in Zone 5. I plan on burying the container in the garden when the
soil is warm enough. Right now,we're still expecting snow! I have
beefsteak and early girl tomatoes.
Do they do well in containers? Linda,NY

Steve Calvin 24-02-2006 12:29 PM

greenthumb wrote:
I'm in Zone 5. I plan on burying the container in the garden when the
soil is warm enough. Right now,we're still expecting snow! I have
beefsteak and early girl tomatoes.
Do they do well in containers? Linda,NY

Tried it once. The cat thought they were roughage for her
diet... Clipped the shoots off just like a razor would.

You starting from seed? I usually put mine out in May
around here (Poughkeepsie, NY. Zone 5B). But I get the
potted plants from Adams Fairacre Farms and I get the
biggest they have.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

Lynn 24-02-2006 12:51 PM

When do I start planting container tomatoes

I will be starting my tomato seeds next month (same zone as you) for place
out the end of May or early June. They will need to be repoted to bigger
pots after the true leaves appear (and potted up to the true leaves) so they
won't get leggy. Once the soil is warm enough transplant them outside either
in large containers or out in the soil.

--
:) Lynn

ups.com...

greenthumb 25-02-2006 11:11 AM

When do I start planting container tomatoes

Lynn, We're planting the seed in 5 gallon pails so we don't have to
transfer them.
Thanks for the input Steve and Lynn