Old 04-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Stuart Pedazzo

Default Soil testers

Has any one had any luck with these small electronic pH and
fertilizer meters? I ordered one made by RapidTest with 2 rigid
probes sticking out the bottom but am having trouble getting much of a
reading out of it.

Are there any tricks to it that I am missing??

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Prof.Zooks

Stuart Pedazzo wrote:

Has any one had any luck with these small electronic pH and
fertilizer meters? I ordered one made by RapidTest with 2 rigid
probes sticking out the bottom but am having trouble getting much of a
reading out of it.

Are there any tricks to it that I am missing??

Sincerely,

Stuart Pedazzo...but you can call me Stu!

I seem to remember that the ph testers had to have slighty muddy soil to
work. Could this be your problem??

Regards,
PZ.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Buckingham

The soil temperature has to be up in the "growing range". If your
soil is too cold the pH meter will not register as the activity level
will be too low. It measures the electrical activity of the cation
exchange in your soil. The soil does not need to be muddy but it
cannot be bone dry either.

RCB
Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Stuart Pedazzo wrote:
Has any one had any luck with these small electronic pH and
fertilizer meters? I ordered one made by RapidTest with 2 rigid
probes sticking out the bottom but am having trouble getting much of a
reading out of it.

Are there any tricks to it that I am missing??

I've never heard of any "cheap" pH meters that were any good.
In contrast, the color-indicator strips seem fairly accurate,
at least in comparison with soil laboratory reports.

I have not idea what a "fertilizer meter" might measure. Does
the promotional/package information suggest anything specific
about what it is supposed to be measuring?

-frank