Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Glenna Rose

Default OT - Animal tether

I apologize for this being off-topic but know that many of you live on
farms and have large animals. I'm looking for a tether like one we
purchased in the mid-sixties. It was such a good design and worked so
well, it just doesn't seem likely it wouldn't still be manufactured;
however, I've not been able to find one. (A search on the web brings up
hundreds of pages, most of which I wouldn't consider looking at! None
that were actually related to horses or cattle showed anything like that.
Bit of humor though, when I typed "horse tether" in the search engine, it
asked if I meant "horse feathers.")

It was made of cast aluminum though material wouldn't be an issue if the
design is similar. The part that stayed above the ground surface was
about 4"x6", more or less. In the middle was a hole with a solid bar
across it, staying level with the rest of the top so as not to catch the
hook or rope. It was anchored into the ground with six pointed stakes,
each 6-8" long (don't remember for certain, it's been a long time). The
stakes were a criss-cross design to help it go into the ground easier and
also provide more surface area to help secure it in the ground. (The
entire stake was cast aluminum, one piece.)

It was marvelous to use. To put it in the ground, you simply set it on the
ground, stepped on it, and it easily set into the ground. It was easy to
remove by simply pulling straight up on the chain/rope. However, an animal
could not pull it out as they were pulling at an angle and the design made
it unmovable. It was designed with horses and cattle in mind and worked
well for horses (we had no cattle at the time), but we used it later in
town for our dog.

Because the surface was completely level, it didn't ever cause the
chain/rope to twist (assuming, of course, the hook as on a swivel if a
hook was used).

If anyone has seen one and knows where I can locate one, I'd sure
appreciate information. As I said, it was such a marvelous and effective
design, I cannot imagine that they are not still being made somewhere.

TIA,
Glenna