GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onion tops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/12985-onion-tops.html)

[email protected] 04-04-2003 07:32 PM

Onion tops

I harvested a purple onion and the tops were huge and green. I have cut
them up like chives and am drying them on the stove. Will they be any good
to use? Am I wasting my time? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Roz
phx, az

Polar 04-04-2003 10:56 PM

Onion tops

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:32:43 -0700, "
wrote:

I harvested a purple onion and the tops were huge and green. I have cut
them up like chives and am drying them on the stove. Will they be any good
to use? Am I wasting my time? Suggestions?

Put them in soup or stews?

But why dry? Why not keep them in a pierced baggie
in the vegetable bin, and use in salads, cooking, etc.
Unless you have a cart-load g

--
Polar

Glenna Rose 04-04-2003 11:32 PM

Onion tops

writes:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:32:43 -0700, "
wrote:

I harvested a purple onion and the tops were huge and green. I have cut
them up like chives and am drying them on the stove. Will they be any

good
to use? Am I wasting my time? Suggestions?

Put them in soup or stews?

But why dry? Why not keep them in a pierced baggie
in the vegetable bin, and use in salads, cooking, etc.
Unless you have a cart-load g

How would these hold up frozen in ice cubes to drop into soup/stew later?
I've always meant to try it, but they never get past the stew pot or
omelettes.

Glenna

Aaron Baugher 05-04-2003 12:08 AM

Onion tops

(Glenna Rose) writes:

How would these hold up frozen in ice cubes to drop into soup/stew
later?

I'd expect it to work fine, but it's probably more trouble than you
need to go to. When I freeze onions or celery for soup usage, I just
chop it up and put it in a plastic bag or tub, throw it in the
freezer, and stir it up once in a while as it freezes to keep it from
forming into a solid block.

--
Aaron

Anna Merchant 05-04-2003 02:32 AM

Onion tops

Why not use them just like spring onions ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

George Shirley 05-04-2003 03:08 AM

Onion tops

I chop them and freeze them on a bun pan and then vacuum bag them until
needed. Has worked for me for several years now and is a lot easier than
ice cubing them.

George