Old 14-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Jerome R. Long

Default Red Brussels Sprouts and others

There is a short season novelty sprout novelty called Red Rubine the issupposed
to make red sprouts. Does Red Rubine have any superior merit beyond its novelty
status? I have never seen these in a store, but do usually green sprouts in the
produce sections. Is there a most preferred variety for commercial production?

Old 24-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:14:23 +0000 (UTC), (Jerome R.
Long) wrote:

There is a short season novelty sprout novelty called Red Rubine the issupposed
to make red sprouts. Does Red Rubine have any superior merit beyond its novelty
status? I have never seen these in a store, but do usually green sprouts in the
produce sections. Is there a most preferred variety for commercial production?

Many 'novelty' veg are less productive/hearty than their common
companions, but some are perfectly OK -- 'yard long' beans are common
oriental veg; purple hyacinth beans (dolichos lablab -- how I love to
say/type that) are *extremely* attractive and productive.

"Preferred for commercial production" depends on mass-market tastes,
for one thing. Seeing the price of other-than-green bell peppers, I
grew plants for yellow, red, purple, and "chocolate" varieties, and my
casual 'customers' said, "don't you have any plain green ones?" My
favorite yellow was Golden Summer -- a lovely, thick-walled and
productive plant. Purple Beauty was disappointing -- thin-walled,
small fruit. Don't recall the chocolate (brown) variety, but it wasn't
anything to write home about.

I like growing 'different' things for the fun of it. Purple (maroon)
okra is pretty much like the regular ol' green kind in growing habit.
There are a million (well, quite a few) varieties of peppers and
chiles and tomatoes and beans that will astonish your dinner guests,
as well as your gardening neighbors.

Old 24-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Pat Meadows

Long) wrote:

There is a short season novelty sprout novelty called Red Rubine the issupposed
to make red sprouts. Does Red Rubine have any superior merit beyond its novelty
status? I have never seen these in a store, but do usually green sprouts in the
produce sections. Is there a most preferred variety for commercial production?

Many 'novelty' veg are less productive/hearty than their common
companions, but some are perfectly OK -- 'yard long' beans are common
oriental veg; purple hyacinth beans (dolichos lablab -- how I love to
say/type that) are *extremely* attractive and productive.

Are they? Do you know how long a growing season they
require?

"Preferred for commercial production" depends on mass-market tastes,
for one thing.

And may be determined on the basis of what 'ships best', or
what keeps in storage best, whereas home gardeners may
prefer to determine which varieties to grow using different
criteria.

Seeing the price of other-than-green bell peppers, I
grew plants for yellow, red, purple, and "chocolate" varieties, and my
casual 'customers' said, "don't you have any plain green ones?" My
favorite yellow was Golden Summer -- a lovely, thick-walled and
productive plant. Purple Beauty was disappointing -- thin-walled,
small fruit. Don't recall the chocolate (brown) variety, but it wasn't
anything to write home about.

I like growing 'different' things for the fun of it. Purple (maroon)
okra is pretty much like the regular ol' green kind in growing habit.
There are a million (well, quite a few) varieties of peppers and
chiles and tomatoes and beans that will astonish your dinner guests,
as well as your gardening neighbors.

Me too! It's just plain fun.

Pat (besotted gardener)
--
Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
Old 24-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:50:43 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

(Frogleg) wrote:

-- 'yard long' beans are common
oriental veg;

At my location, I'm *damn* lucky to get any matured. I may try again with
some protection and an earlier start, but they're not really right for my
hilltop.

I did buy some this year, but I'm dubious about my success
with them here also - our climate's probably about
equivalent to yours, we're in Pennsylvania's Northern Tier
(a bit south of you), at 1700 foot altitude (or thereabouts)

I've grown them with great success in hot, humid Delaware in
the past.

What I want them for this year (besides the beans) is to be
planted in pots, and live on the front porch, where they
will twine up the front porch's pillars and make an
inviting-looking entryway - at least, that's the theory. I
will also plant morning glories in the same pots as a
fail-safe.

I wonder if one could start the yardlong beans indoors?
I'll give it a try.

Pat