GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Starting Squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/138649-starting-squash.html)

MJC 07-03-2006 09:28 PM

Starting Squash

Is there any advantage to starting Zucchini and Yellow squash inside and
transplanting?
MJ

[email protected] 07-03-2006 09:57 PM

Starting Squash

You may gain a week or so in harvesting your squash. Not worth the
effort to me, but for a few plants, the earlier harvest may be worth it
to you.

aem 07-03-2006 10:02 PM

Starting Squash

MJC wrote:
Is there any advantage to starting Zucchini and Yellow squash inside and
transplanting?

Summer squash wants warm soil -- at least 65°F -- to grow well.
Starting it inside and then transplanting it when the soil is warm
enough will get you to harvest sooner than waiting to plant seeds
directly in the ground. No special care is needed when transplanting.
-aem

Dwayne 08-03-2006 02:03 AM

Starting Squash

Don't plant them inside too soon. They need their tap root to go down into
the ground, not round and round your starting pot. I would give them a
couple of weeks, and then put them into the ground. I made that mistake on
watermelons and had to water them every other day.

Dwayne

Salmon Egg 08-03-2006 02:43 AM

Starting Squash

"MJC" wrote in message
Is there any advantage to starting Zucchini and Yellow squash inside and
transplanting?
MJ

I have had good luck growing squash hydroponicly. My big problem has been
getting good germination. I have been starting them in rock wool cubes.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

simy1 08-03-2006 04:18 AM

Starting Squash

MJC wrote:
Is there any advantage to starting Zucchini and Yellow squash inside and
transplanting?
MJ

Two weeks earleir harvest. Plant them in a large pot, and put them
outside no more than three weeks after seeding, it goes very fast. It
does not sulk like melons or cukes if you disturb the root, though it
would be best to leave it alone as much as possible.