Old 05-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Right Star

Default Pumpkin leaves

Last year in Bangladesh, I was served what they called "Bangladeshi Spinach". I
knew it had no relation to real spinach, but I was told later that it was
pumpkin leaves. That's what they looked like in the market place too. I liked
it, and would like to grow the stuff myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:56 AM
yew

"Right Star" wrote:

I liked it, and would like to grow the stuff
myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will
anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

Nope. Any will do, just eat 'em whilst they're young and tender.

Brina

Old 12-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Right Star

Looks like I'll try pumpkin leaves this year. Anyone have suggestions as
to how they are best served? (Vinegar like spinach, or butter, or

I'm trying to remember how they were served to me there. I'm sure without
butter. I think just steamed, but can't recall. I would think vinegar would be
a good start, but I guess we'll have to just experiment. I plan to email some
Bangladeshi friends and see if they can help. If so, I'll let you know!
--Ray

Old 20-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Right Star

I liked it, and would like to grow the stuff
myself, but wonder if there is any
specific variety of pumpkin or will
anything in the squash family work? Anyone
have any experience with this?

Nope. Any will do, just eat 'em whilst they're young and tender.

Brina

Wow! Wish I'd known this earlier. You cannot believe the number of
pumpkin leaves I've cut and tossed from the garden. Two sugar pumpkin
plants three years ago have multiplied into more than can be given away
(plants or pumpkins). They really do like to "take over" the garden. I
learned the first year to not plant them in the regular garden, but the
volunteers that I didn't have the heart to pull kinda overwhelmed the
garden after I left only four plants there.

Looks like I'll try pumpkin leaves this year. Anyone have suggestions as
to how they are best served? (Vinegar like spinach, or butter, or ... ?)

Glenna

Well, its not much help, but here's the reply I just got from friends in
Bangladesh:

Cooking pumpkin greens? Oh any of about 1,243 ways. Boiling is OK, Stir fried
probably a bit tastier, either alone or with potatoes or tomatoes. Its only
greens, you can use your imagination with it.

Old 27-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Registered User

Hi there,

My girlfriend is from Bangladesh. She was very excited to see a pumpkin plant in my back yard, and she insisted that I must eat the leaves. We cut about a dozen leaves. Don't take older, large leaves. Medium size, newish, are best. Wash the leaves. In a skillet (I used a round bottomed one, I think they're called a kadai) heat some oil. Cut up some garlic and onion. Sautee the garlic and onion until the onion is clear, slightly brown. Cut up a green chile or two, according to desired level of heat, and add. Add the leaves and some ground turmeric. Cook thoroughly. There should be enough moisture in the leaves to keep the entire mixture moist, but you can add a spoonful of water or two if needed. When very well cooked, serve over hot rice. Eat it the indian way, with your fingers, for best results. Delicious!
Old 24-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered User

You cannot accept the amount of pumpkin leaves I've cut and tossed from the garden. Two amoroso pumpkin plants three years ago accept assorted into added than can be accustomed away (plants or pumpkins). They absolutely do like to "take over" the garden.
NFT Hydroponics