Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default garden journals?

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:56:28 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

He said "freeware" and you went on and on about databases and
spreadsheets. There's not anything wrong with that, but you are being a
hypocrite to then bash Frogleg for suggesting a paper journal (which
qualifies as "hardware" in my book. Nowhere did he say "software"; that
was implied.)

No, I didn't. I talked about two gardening-specific pieces
of software.

'Freeware' MEANS 'free software'.

I explained that I also had looked for freeware for this
purpose and been unable to find any, and therefore
recommended two inexpensive ($20 and $30) programs.

If you ask for something and I say I've looked for it also,
and been unable to find any, I think that's a useful answer.
If you think that's an inappropriate answer, well, we'll
have to agree to differ.

You may have the last word if you wish - we're not getting
anywhere here, so I'll end my participation in this thread
with this posting.

Pat
Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Big B

Why don't you *shut up* Bob. Lets see with you saying that was a proper
answer, how about I ask about canning green beans and somebody would
reply "why can them, when you can buy them cheaper at the store"

Btw freeware deals with software..........duh

zxcvbob wrote:

Kelvyn wrote:

In article, says...
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:58:23 +1200, Kelvyn wrote:

Can anyone suggest a freeware garden journal/diary ? Have done a thorough

Thankyou for your advice on how to conduct my life.....but i think
i am on top of things ok without that sort of help.
kelvyn.

You *asked* for the advice, so shut up and accept it gratiously, like it
was offered.

Regards,
Bob

Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Gary Woods

Big B wrote:

how about I ask about canning green beans and somebody would
reply "why can them, when you can buy them cheaper at the store

For pity's sake, folks!
The answer to a usenet query was somewhat "out of the box," and the
original questioner foolishly thought they'd get only very narrow specific
the expected answers.

All the rest is personal attacks which don't belong.
No wait.... this is Usenet......

Heck, I'd have to _pay_ to see a show this good!

The Persian Pickled Garlic is turning out pretty well, though the recipe
says it continues to improve for 20 years, so you may have to wait for a
final review... on the bright side, some of my stored garlic is still in
good shape in the cool empty nest bedroom. The room smells lovely, and not
a vampire for miles.

I gotta go...

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
delirium

OK, just to divert this back somewhere near the original topic, does
anyone know of any good free or paid garden software for PalmOS? That may
be a good solution to the problem of keeping neat notes without dragging
a laptop out into the garden.

-Jenn
Old 08-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Gary Woods

delirium wrote:

OK, just to divert this back somewhere near the original topic, does
anyone know of any good free or paid garden software for PalmOS?

I just know I'm going to regret this, but common sense has never been my
long suit:

I carry a clipboard into the garden, usually with a printed copy of the
garlic spreadsheet on it. That way, I can write in additions/changes, and
anything else goes in the margins for additions to "grdsp2003.txt" when I
feel like it. Hardcopy in the file once in a while. I do have one of
those pocket organizer/scheduler things that can synch with a computer
copy, but typing anything lengthy on it is a pain.

Two more inches of snow on the glacier that used to be my driveway. I am
NOT GOING TO DO ANY MORE SHOVELING AND SCRAPING. IT'S SPRING!
The Good Lord put it there....

The distant muffled curses are the garlic sprouts under a layer of ice and
snow...

Cheers, I think.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
rmw

Hi All,
reply at the end.
The Cook wrote in message
Pat Meadows wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:02:09 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:19:56 +1200, Kelvyn wrote:

In article,
says...
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:58:23 +1200, Kelvyn wrote:

Can anyone suggest a freeware garden journal/diary ? Have done a

thorough

Thankyou for your advice on how to conduct my life.....but i think
i am on top of things ok without that sort of help.

Well, it's a little hard to reply when my post wasn't quoted -- only
vilified, but I *wasn't* trying to advise anyone on how to conduct
his/her life I was merely making a suggestion that paper of some sort
would probably be a lot easier way to keep a garden journal than a
computer application.

He specifically asked about gardening *software*.

Don't you think it's a bit rude when someone asks about
gardening software (specifically), to answer that he should
use a pencil and paper (as if he'd never heard of a pencil
and paper in his life)?

I think it's a bit rude.

You also said: 'Ain't no computer application that can
match a written record.' This is not true. If it were
true, banks, governments, and big corporations would all be
using pencils and papers for all their records.

I really think the [pencil and paper is the best!] attitude
is funny when expressed *via Usenet*. If you actually
followed your own advice, you'd be corresponding with people
via snail mail and a pencil....

It would be a rare (and I expect, very expensive) computer application
that would allow for all the things *I* want to remember about *my*
garden.

No, it wouldn't. NotePad would do it. I would consider
that an inefficient and irritating way to do it, but NotePad
or any other (free) text editor would do it. It would be
less inefficient (for me personally) than a pencil and
paper, because I can type about 90 words a minute and I
certainly cannot write that fast (at all: much less
legibly).

I wouldn't dream of using one of them for this purpose
myself - I prefer the ease, efficiency, speed and greater
functionality of a purpose-built program - but NotePad CAN
do anything you can do with a pencil. You could use
Microsoft Paint for graphics: also free with a Windows
computer. Or you could use a really terrific free graphics
program called PhotoPlus 6.

Again, this wouldn't be MY choice. But a graphics program
plus a simple text editor (many, many of each are free) can
do whatever you can do with a pencil.

Purpose-built software though, or a spreadsheet or a
database program, has much much greater functionality and
ease of use.

Pat

Besides I can always find my computer. I wouldn't give odds on
finding the paper or notebook at any given time.

how do you fit the computer into your pocket ?.

Richard M. Watkin.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary

and those who do not.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Art Norman

I've played with garden with insight before - it isn't so much as a planner
as an educational modeling program. I have not been able to put the time
into learning it that I would like, but I encouraged my kids to play with it
and they said it was fun. I would love to see it be more flexible - perhaps
allowing cover crops to be grown and the effects over several seasons growth
to be shown.
What I have done to help plan my garden is to make a large diagram glued to
an old piece of thin plywood and cover it with plastic on which I use a dry
erase marker to show what was planted where and when. I transfer this to
paper at the end of the season to help plan next years crops.
"Jim Carter" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:58:23 +1200, Kelvyn wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Can anyone suggest a freeware garden journal/diary ? Have done a thorough
search but have come up with nothing so far....
Thanks..in advance.
kelvyn.

Have a look at

http://www.gardenwithinsight.com/help100/00000214.htm

and see if it resembles what you want. The company is now making all

their
software free.

I found this with a Google search using keywords

"garden template record"

There were several other hits that I did not peruse. I know nothing of

these
programs.
---
My ability .. in .. the courtroom .. surpasses my
ability .. in medicine ..
Tom Hennessy )

Journals of RHS Bob United Kingdom 10 01-02-2004 03:31 PM
Journals of RHS Bob United Kingdom 0 31-01-2004 03:33 PM
Reviewers for our New Journals // Conferences // Books of WSEAS in ISINET // Call for AUTOMATIC CON WSEAS Plant Biology 0 24-01-2004 12:03 AM
WSEAS Books, Journals, Proceedings participate now in all major science citation indexes. WSEAS NEWSLETTER: WSEAS Books, Journals, Proceed Plant Biology 0 06-01-2004 01:03 PM
Access to journals? P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 02-05-2003 06:44 PM