Old 15-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Cdonahey41

Default Leaves

I have been mulching with leaves this year. I mulched many parts of my garden
at home. I mulched this swamp I have been making. I mulched part of a
community garden. I did collect a lot of leaves. The leaves don't move around
that much even when the wind is blowing. At home, I have tried to put extra
snow on top these leaves, so they will have more moisture and break down
faster. I had a problem with feral and neighborhood cats early in the fall
nestling under the leaves for cover. There are newspapers and magazines under
some of these leaves ( I have been killing unwanted plants underneath), so I
would notice any great movement. There is an enormous textural difference.
If I wanted to inexpensively add different trees, I believe I would add say
acorns and oak leaves to an area and see what happens. Anyone else have any
comments to make about that use of leaves.
Old 21-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Bill

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:52:58 +0000, Cdonahey41 wrote:

I have been mulching with leaves this year. I mulched many parts of my garden
at home. I mulched this swamp I have been making. I mulched part of a
community garden. I did collect a lot of leaves. The leaves don't move around
that much even when the wind is blowing. At home, I have tried to put extra
snow on top these leaves, so they will have more moisture and break down
faster. I had a problem with feral and neighborhood cats early in the fall
nestling under the leaves for cover. There are newspapers and magazines under
some of these leaves ( I have been killing unwanted plants underneath), so I
would notice any great movement. There is an enormous textural difference.
If I wanted to inexpensively add different trees, I believe I would add say
acorns and oak leaves to an area and see what happens. Anyone else have any
comments to make about that use of leaves.

I mulch with 'em all winter and then put the leftovers through the compost
pile as I get grass clippings to match up with them.

Nothing elaborate, but it works well for me.

Bill