GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No dig gardens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/141422-no-dig-gardens.html)

Dick Adams 05-02-2007 11:54 PM

No dig gardens

Handguns are banned for the public. Shotguns and rifles are still
permitted under license. I don't know any farmers who don't own a
shotgun. Around any UK airport, or Parliament, you'll see armed police.
Sport shooting/hunting of game (birds, deer) is a gigantic business in
the UK.

We don't have any tularemia in rabbits here, so they are still eaten.
You can still buy wild rabbit in many rural butcher shops. One of my
farm neighbours shot 600 on his farm in one night, and sold enough of
them to cover his expenses.

Shot 600 in one night! Wow, he must have had them line up in front
of a machine gun turret. :)

I understand that in OZ you can make a decent living from killing
rabbits and kangaroos.

Until my father could no longer get around, saturday dinner at his
house from mid-November until May was apple-fed rabbit meat.

Dick

Dick Adams 06-02-2007 01:11 AM

No dig gardens

We don't have any tularemia in rabbits here, so they are still eaten.
You can still buy wild rabbit in many rural butcher shops. One of my
farm neighbours shot 600 on his farm in one night, and sold enough of
them to cover his expenses.

Shot 600 in one night! Wow, he must have had them line up in front
of a machine gun turret. :)

No need; he used a method called lamping. (Also used for shooting
foxes) The victims line themselves up to be shot.

In the States, we call it 'jacklighting'. It's used for shooting deer
from the highway.

Dick

Ann 06-02-2007 12:36 PM

No dig gardens

(Dick Adams) expounded:

We don't have any tularemia in rabbits here, so they are still eaten.
You can still buy wild rabbit in many rural butcher shops. One of my
farm neighbours shot 600 on his farm in one night, and sold enough of
them to cover his expenses.

Shot 600 in one night! Wow, he must have had them line up in front
of a machine gun turret. :)

No need; he used a method called lamping. (Also used for shooting
foxes) The victims line themselves up to be shot.

In the States, we call it 'jacklighting'. It's used for shooting deer
from the highway.

Dick

Jacking deer is illegal in most if not all states.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Dick Adams 06-02-2007 01:29 PM

No dig gardens

We don't have any tularemia in rabbits here, so they are still eaten.
You can still buy wild rabbit in many rural butcher shops. One of my
farm neighbours shot 600 on his farm in one night, and sold enough of
them to cover his expenses.

Shot 600 in one night! Wow, he must have had them line up in front
of a machine gun turret. :)

No need; he used a method called lamping. (Also used for shooting
foxes) The victims line themselves up to be shot.

In the States, we call it 'jacklighting'. It's used for shooting deer
from the highway.

Jacking deer is illegal in most if not all states.

Shooting deer from your car is, or should be, illegal everywhere.
Jacklighting is very dangerous. The only place I have heard of it
being legal is in Florida, but only for registered members of
recognized indian tribes.

After all is said and done, I have no sympathy for rabbits.
Especially those who think my garden is a dinner table.

Dick