Old 25-03-2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default Beans and Onions: Too Close for Comfort?

writes:

Perhaps. But upon re-reading it it seems to suggest using aromatic
crops, perhaps as a border crop. Why it suggests potatoes as aromatic
I don't know. Do potatoes produce smelly flowers or leaves?

Actually, Jim, some varieties do have fragrant flowers. Having always
thought of veggie blossoms as generic regarding smell, it was quite a
surprise to realize that the blues have a very fragrant flower.

But perhaps the reasons some use potatoes (???) as a border might be that
the critters think it's too lowly a food for them to eat, like royalty did
centuries ago. (The story of the potato in Europe is rather interesting.)
You do realize, of course, that I'm joking about the critters, don't you?
Seriously though, some of the "different" varieties of potatoes I've
grown can compete with many flowers for the pleasant fragrance. Never
thought of them like that at all until one spring in the garden, I located
the source of that wonderful aroma - a blue potato plant in bloom.

However, I wouldn't think that even the most aromic (sp) of them would
repel anything.

Glenna

Old 25-03-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

"Glenna Rose" wrote:
Actually, Jim, some varieties do have fragrant flowers. Having
always thought of veggie blossoms as generic regarding smell,
it was quite a surprise to realize that the blues have a very fragrant
flower.

It's amazing how sometimes one's senses become sensitive. I'm
feeling chills coming up from the depths of planet earth. Seriously.
Very weird. Things should start getting warmer but that's not what
I feel. Perhaps it's the ice melting in Iceland. Saint Petersburg FL is
a small peninsula surrounded by water on the western coast of FL.
I take my shoes and socks off and I feel temperature sensations
coming through the floors of the house. In fact, I can keep my socks
on and my calves yet feel chills. And as I sit hear typing I'm feeling
more chills resonating up through my spine.

Seriously though, some of the "different" varieties of potatoes I've
grown can compete with many flowers for the pleasant fragrance.
Never thought of them like that at all until one spring in the garden,
I located the source of that wonderful aroma - a blue potato plant in
bloom.

Thanks, I was just thinking, yeah, potatoes do have a definite odor to
them, even without any flowers or leaves.

However, I wouldn't think that even the most aromic (sp) of them
would repel anything.

Flies supposedly like some smells (rotting smells) and dislike other
smells (fresh leafy basil). I don't really know. Just trying to pay more
attention to it all.

I'm going to plant some more basil tomorrow.

Too many bugs showing up.

Thanks for commenting on the smells of the potato blossoms.
Blue potatoes you say? Hmmm. I've got some purple grass. ;-)

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.