GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Direct sowing onions in the North (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/141634-direct-sowing-onions-north.html)

zxcvbob 28-03-2006 06:59 PM

Direct sowing onions in the North

Most of my garden is still frozen muck, but the 2 raised beds are thawed
(but very cold) and dry enough to plant. I am not sure when the average
last frost date is, but I'm sure it's still over a month away.

I ordered some onion and shallot seeds, and they got here yesterday.
Should I plant them indoors and set them out in early May, or sow them
direct in the garden?

Also, can I sow peas now or do I need to wait another 3 weeks?

I usually only grow warm-season crops, but I'm ready to get started. :-)

Thanks,
Bob, in Zone 4

James 28-03-2006 09:55 PM

Direct sowing onions in the North

If I had the room I'd plant them indoors. Bunching onions transplant
well. I usually plant a row if it and transplant them after they're a
couple inches tall.

I can't direct sow peas because there are too many little furry
animals. I have to transplant each one with an 8" collar made out of
2 litter plastic bottles.

You might get a sheet of cheap plastic dropcloth and cover you raised
bed after seeding. Just be careful that you don't cook the seedlings
on sunny days.