Old 29-03-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default In the blink of an eye...

writes:

Almost all the seedlings are broken just above the soil line. Out of
twenty four early tomatoes, I know have six, and one of those might
not make it. I buried the damaged part of the stem, but it was droopy
this morning.

So sorry, Penelope. :-(

If it were me, I'd still keep all of them potted (at their previous soil
line); their root systems are still there and would have more strength
than new seedlings. You may just have most of them recover and be up to
what they would have been, only six or so weeks later. It's been amazing
to me what has recovered after similar disasters. One year, my young
"helper" broke off a branch of one of my heirloom tomatoes while I was
caging it, the whole idea of getting help was to keep the branches from
being broken. (He actually jammed the cage down on the fork between the
branches.) Figuring it would have a chance if it was put in water versus
no chance on the compost pile, I put it in water. It rooted and went on
to give a good crop of tomatoes (after being planted, of course).

Last spring some idiot broke off my three-year-old paw-paw tree to nearly
ground level. They grow so very slowly that it's discouraging. I wrote
it off as gone but decided to continue to care for it and it is growing,
amazingly. It will never catch up to its sibling but it will still look
impressive by the time they are 15! Who knows, maybe eventually it will
catch up.

Though not relying on them recovering, give it a try. You may be richly
rewarded. They say by the end of July, you can't tell which tomatoes were
set out in the garden in April or May, or something like that. Truth is
that I cannot tell which tomatoes were set out three inches high and eight
inches high by the end of July, and no difference in yield by mid-August.
In fact, I think the smaller ones did better though not quite as early,
and I've planted same varieties side by side to test it.

Good luck! After all, the dratted weeds keep growing if the roots are
still there, and tomatoes are as hardy as many weeds.

{{{ Penelope's tomatoes }}}

Glenna

Old 30-03-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:36:19 -0800, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:

Almost all the seedlings are broken just above the soil line. Out of
twenty four early tomatoes, I know have six, and one of those might
not make it. I buried the damaged part of the stem, but it was droopy
this morning.

So sorry, Penelope. :-(

Yeah, the perils of gardening.

If it were me, I'd still keep all of them potted (at their previous soil
line); their root systems are still there and would have more strength
than new seedlings. You may just have most of them recover and be up to
what they would have been, only six or so weeks later.

Therein lies the problem. I know most of them will come back, but
they were my early tomatoes. One, Sophie's Choice won't even make
it once the summer heat hits. I planted these two varieties
(Sophie's Choice and Stupice) because they tolerate colder
weather better than a lot of tomatoes. They're my first wave,
and, with a little luck, I would have had a large crop of vine
ripened tomatoes in May instead of late June.

I've got a few more Stupice in my second wave of tomatoes, I
always plant plenty of Stupice because it's very reliable all
season; but this was the first year for the SC tomatoes. Only two
of them survived.

So, I agree with you, but it ain't gonna get me bragging rights
for the first ripe tomato.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 30-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Smile

wrote:

writes:

[...]

sorry to hear about your tomatoes penelope. its so hard sometimes to try and get things to go the way u want them thats for sure. i hope that they all come back for u again. good luck, sockiescat.

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2008 12:54 AM
Don't Blink! Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 11-07-2008 04:00 AM
In the blink of an eye... Penelope Periwinkle Edible Gardening 3 31-03-2006 02:12 AM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds (alternative) 1 12-04-2003 02:20 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds 2 06-04-2003 12:56 PM