Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DanielCoffey

Default Tomato seed germination time?

I have potted my first few tomato seeds here in Scotland, UK, and I am
wondering how long they take to germinate?

They are in seed compost/vermiculite in a propagator without heater.
It's been pretty cold at night and not too warm in the day. I've been
moving it around to catch whatever sun I can find, which isn't a lot
at the moment.

6 days and counting so far...
Old 06-04-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mel

"DanielCoffey" wrote in message
I have potted my first few tomato seeds here in Scotland, UK, and I am
wondering how long they take to germinate?

Don't tomato seeds need to be kept fairly warm for germination? I put mine
in a heated propogator, indoors, next to a window. They took about 7 to 10
days to germinate and are now growing on by the window in an unheated
propogator.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Joe S.

DanielCoffey wrote:
I have potted my first few tomato seeds here in Scotland, UK, and I am
wondering how long they take to germinate?

They are in seed compost/vermiculite in a propagator without heater.
It's been pretty cold at night and not too warm in the day. I've been
moving it around to catch whatever sun I can find, which isn't a lot
at the moment.

6 days and counting so far...

You will def. need some sort of consistent warmth. Toms like it warm/hot.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:19:34 GMT, DanielCoffey
wrote:

I have potted my first few tomato seeds here in Scotland, UK, and I am
wondering how long they take to germinate?

They are in seed compost/vermiculite in a propagator without heater.
It's been pretty cold at night and not too warm in the day. I've been
moving it around to catch whatever sun I can find, which isn't a lot
at the moment.

6 days and counting so far...

US zone 7 in a greenhouse it has taken 12 to 15 days. The greenhouse
was kept at about 50°F at night. As soon as the sun came up it was in
the 80's.
--
Susan N.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"DanielCoffey" wrote in message
I have potted my first few tomato seeds here in Scotland, UK, and I am
wondering how long they take to germinate?

They are in seed compost/vermiculite in a propagator without heater.
It's been pretty cold at night and not too warm in the day. I've been
moving it around to catch whatever sun I can find, which isn't a lot
at the moment.

6 days and counting so far...

My records show fresh tomato seed germinate in four days.

I sow the seed about 6 weeks ahead of transplanting to the garden, in trays
filled with peat-based potting soil, covered with a clear plastic lid and
placed ~10" under a 65W grow light.

Tomat seedlings like warm nights, where the minimum temperature is above
55°F (~13°C). If it/s still cold where you are, then there/s plenty-o-time
to replant.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DanielCoffey

Default It lives!

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:48:55 -0400, "TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net
wrote:

My records show fresh tomato seed germinate in four days.

I sow the seed about 6 weeks ahead of transplanting to the garden, in trays
filled with peat-based potting soil, covered with a clear plastic lid and
placed ~10" under a 65W grow light.

Tomat seedlings like warm nights, where the minimum temperature is above
55°F (~13°C). If it/s still cold where you are, then there/s plenty-o-time
to replant.

Day 7 and the first seeds are above the soil! My two Paul Robesons
were first out - the other varietes aren't showing yet.

As for 13C nighttime temperatures, I'm afraid that in Scotland we only
get that sort of temperature at night for a few brief weeks in August
if we're lucky. In fact, our daytime temps aren't even that high yet.
Daytime shows 6-9C with nights at 3-4C with some light frosts. As a
result I went for tomatoes more suited to shorter growing seasons
(Paul Robeson/Patio Orange/Golden Nugget).

Thanks for the reassuring comments though, folks - I am really looking
forward to seeing these grow.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

My house was build with the hot water heater, and the house heater in the
same small room. It maintains a constant 72F/22C temperature in there. I
put up some small shelves and a small light and start my seeds there. As
soon as they are up, I remove them to a room that gets a lot more sunlight.

Dwayne

Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DanielCoffey

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:22:56 GMT, DanielCoffey
wrote:

Day 7 and the first seeds are above the soil! My two Paul Robesons
were first out - the other varietes aren't showing yet.

Day 9 and the Golden Nuggets have popped up! Phew!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Leo B

7-14 days USA

Old 11-04-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tomatos are suppost to germinate in about a week or so, give them some
time. If the tomatos dont grow in 2 weeks plant some new ones. I have
planted tomatos before and they germinated fine for me. If they dont
grow its probably because of a bad seed.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DanielCoffey

And on day 11 one of the Patio Orange popped up - a little careful
poking revealed that my spare second one hadn't germinated so I picked
a replacement seed.

I'm delighted to get such a good turn-out from my first seeds - now to
make sure I don't overwater them - the first out of the soil Paul
Robeson are almost 2" high and have started on their second set of
leaves.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:42:53 GMT, DanielCoffey
wrote:

And on day 11 one of the Patio Orange popped up - a little careful
poking revealed that my spare second one hadn't germinated so I picked
a replacement seed.

I'm delighted to get such a good turn-out from my first seeds - now to
make sure I don't overwater them - the first out of the soil Paul
Robeson are almost 2" high and have started on their second set of
leaves.

Give them more light. Two inches before starting second leaves is
getting leggy.
--
Susan N.

Old 13-04-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
tomato

tomatos need some warmth for germination.It is bette that you try with
warm enviornment

Old 15-04-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JonnyT339

Oh Danny-Boy, if you have a small heating blanket, put it under the
pot.Get a thermometer, stick it in the soil and keep the temp at 70
degrees F. If the heating blanket is too warm make sure it's at the
lowest setting. If not buy one with a 3 setting control (Low,Med,High).
Seeds shouldn't take any longer than 5 days.