GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes above ground? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/142506-potatoes-above-ground.html)

Nartker 15-04-2006 02:53 PM

Potatoes above ground?

For a number of reasons, I planning to grow potatoes in cedar frames above
ground. How high can I build the frames over the initial planting? It
seems I remember my grandfather going a couple of foot, but I was a lot
shorter then.

I've built the courses in 8" increments and can go as many as 4 high. Is 32
inches too deep?

The Varieties are two types of Fingerlings and German Butterballs.

Thanks

cloud dreamer 16-04-2006 01:56 PM

Potatoes above ground?

Nartker wrote:
For a number of reasons, I planning to grow potatoes in cedar frames above
ground. How high can I build the frames over the initial planting? It
seems I remember my grandfather going a couple of foot, but I was a lot
shorter then.

I've built the courses in 8" increments and can go as many as 4 high. Is 32
inches too deep?

The Varieties are two types of Fingerlings and German Butterballs.

I grow Yukon Gold regularly in cedar containers. They're roughly 2 feet
high and wide. I don't think 32" would be too high (though I'm not
familiar with those types of spuds so I don't know if they have any
special requirements). Other than that, I don't forsee a problem except
that you'll have to dig as far as you plant in order to harvest them.
For most, that would be the fun part.

..

OmManiPadmiOmlet 16-04-2006 02:42 PM

Potatoes above ground?

In article , " Nartker"
wrote:

For a number of reasons, I planning to grow potatoes in cedar frames above
ground. How high can I build the frames over the initial planting? It
seems I remember my grandfather going a couple of foot, but I was a lot
shorter then.

I've built the courses in 8" increments and can go as many as 4 high. Is 32
inches too deep?

The Varieties are two types of Fingerlings and German Butterballs.

Thanks

A really cool technique I have read about for growing spuds is to use
tires, and you can increase the yield by stacking them over the season.

Start out with two tires. When the plant is grown well above the tires,
put on another one and fill it with a mix of soil and straw. Continue
this to up to 6 tires.

By burying the stems deeper, it's supposed to induce the growth of more
rhizomes, and harvesting is made simple by just removing the tires. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
- Jack Nicholson