GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cabbage flowering - problem? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/142520-cabbage-flowering-problem.html)

splendor77 16-04-2006 05:22 PM

cabbage flowering - problem?

a few red cabbages survived the new jersey winter and are already
growing fast. they had long shoots with buds which hadn't flowered yet,
which I cut off. will I still be able to get cabbage heads?

OmManiPadmiOmlet 16-04-2006 05:52 PM

cabbage flowering - problem?

In article .com,
"splendor77" wrote:

a few red cabbages survived the new jersey winter and are already
growing fast. they had long shoots with buds which hadn't flowered yet,
which I cut off. will I still be able to get cabbage heads?

I don't see why not. :-)
It's not like they turn toxic or anything, but they may be a bit bitter.
Break off a little bit of leaf and try it raw to see.

I have the same problem with basil. I cut off the flower buds so I can
continue to harvest it.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
- Jack Nicholson

STEPHEN PEEK 16-04-2006 09:19 PM

cabbage flowering - problem?

Sorry, no heads. Cabbages are biennial, flowering & producing seed the
second year.
Steve
oups.com...

Powerless Agronomist 17-04-2006 12:16 AM

cabbage flowering - problem?

"splendor77" wrote in message
oups.com...
a few red cabbages survived the new jersey winter and are already
growing fast. they had long shoots with buds which hadn't flowered yet,
which I cut off. will I still be able to get cabbage heads?

First time to hear for this Idea.. Interesting.. Better leave to take the
seed to see what can come up next year from those seed.

splendor77 17-04-2006 12:59 AM

cabbage flowering - problem?

stephen, does that mean that I shouldn't have cut off the seed stems?

simy1 17-04-2006 02:49 AM

cabbage flowering - problem?

only if you need the seeds and don't need the space. Every spring I am
tempted to wait for kale seeds, so I don't have to buy a packet this
year. But that means leaving the patch unused into July, and most of
the time it is better to buy seeds and replant.

STEPHEN PEEK 17-04-2006 04:04 AM

cabbage flowering - problem?

Only if you wanted seeds.

Steve 23-04-2006 05:54 AM

cabbage flowering - problem?

Powerless Agronomist wrote:
"splendor77" wrote in message
oups.com...

a few red cabbages survived the new jersey winter and are already
growing fast. they had long shoots with buds which hadn't flowered yet,
which I cut off. will I still be able to get cabbage heads?

First time to hear for this Idea.. Interesting.. Better leave to take the
seed to see what can come up next year from those seed.

This discussion makes me wonder how edible (or not) cabbage seed pods
would turn out to be? Pods from some cabbage relatives aren't too bad.

steve

splendor77 09-05-2006 11:00 PM

cabbage flowering - problem?

turns out the leaves are pretty tasty, even as the seed 'n flower
shoots go sky-high...