GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato varieties (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/142944-tomato-varieties.html)

Allan Matthews 24-04-2006 04:23 PM

Tomato varieties

A couple of years ago I built a raised garden and have planted four
tomato plants each year since then. What I am harvesting are loads of
same size, perfectly round tomatos with very little taste and baseball
hard. What variety can I plant to get tomatos like my Father had in
his garden 60 years ago? TIA Allan

DanielCoffey 24-04-2006 06:40 PM

Tomato varieties

Do a Goole search for heirloom tomatoes.

The company I have used is at http://www.tomatoseeds.net/ they have a
huge selection of varieties with descriptions.

[email protected] 24-04-2006 09:04 PM

Tomato varieties

alasa craig, a juicy scottish variety. you will never wonder again

Salmon Egg 24-04-2006 11:03 PM

Tomato varieties

On 4/24/06 8:23 AM, in article ,
"Allan Matthews" wrote:

A couple of years ago I built a raised garden and have planted four
tomato plants each year since then. What I am harvesting are loads of
same size, perfectly round tomatos with very little taste and baseball
hard. What variety can I plant to get tomatos like my Father had in
his garden 60 years ago? TIA Allan

If I were to make selections I would start with

Celebrity
Better Boy
Momotaro

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Sue 25-04-2006 12:24 AM

Tomato varieties

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:37:16 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:23:18 GMT, Allan Matthews
wrote:

What I am harvesting are loads of
same size, perfectly round tomatos with very little taste and baseball
hard. What variety can I plant to get tomatos like my Father had in
his garden 60 years ago? TIA Allan

Allan, Allan, Allan. I have never seen a gardener in more
desperate need of heirloom tomatoes than you. I will suggest
four varieties, but we really should know what area you live in
or your Department of Agriculture zone.

Dufresne or Dufresne #2 (they are the same): 3-4 inch, luscious,
fruit. Spreads 5-6 feet.

Sweet 100: The only cherry tomato I like. Like Dufresne, it is
a large vine.

These are wonderful!!!! Eat 'em like candy they're so sweet. I'm
growing them for the 4th year.
Sue

[email protected] 25-04-2006 02:02 AM

Tomato varieties

Sixty years ago, Rutgers was the most popular tomato, with Marglobe
still in the running. Many home gardeners grew the Red Ponderosa which
was also called Beefsteak. Today hundreds of "heirlooms" have been
introduced by amateur breeder/traders. They have become very popular
for various reasons, but I have not found any that can beat those old
commercial varieties. If you like yellow, the Golden Ponderosa is very
good. The Purple Ponderosa and and its imitators are very good pinks.

aem 25-04-2006 06:45 PM

Tomato varieties

Allan Matthews wrote:
On 24 Apr 2006 18:02:35 -0700, "
wrote:

Sixty years ago, Rutgers was the most popular tomato, with Marglobe
still in the running. Many home gardeners grew the Red Ponderosa which
was also called Beefsteak. Today hundreds of "heirlooms" have been
introduced by amateur breeder/traders. They have become very popular
for various reasons, but I have not found any that can beat those old
commercial varieties. If you like yellow, the Golden Ponderosa is very
good. The Purple Ponderosa and and its imitators are very good pinks.

Marglobe....bingo!!!!! That was what he raised. Thanks to all. I am
going to find some of these plants for this year and try a variety.

The most delicious tomato I've grown in recent years has been the
Brandywine. Very large, pink rather than red, relatively thin skin.
So full of flavor you don't even want to put a vinaigrette on it, just
a pinch of salt. Oxheart is another very tasty heirloom variety. -aem

simy1 25-04-2006 08:08 PM

Tomato varieties

what makes Rutgers better than a Brandywine, if you don't mind me
asking?

Jim Carter 26-04-2006 12:03 AM

Tomato varieties

On 25 Apr 2006 12:08:51 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

what makes Rutgers better than a Brandywine, if you don't mind me
asking?

I have never tasted Rutgers. That said, the Red Brandywines were
extraordinary in their flavour, but each vine produced only 4 or
5 tomatoes. Perhaps I am too far north -- in eastern Ontario
near Ottawa. I am told Rutgers produces much better.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Allan Matthews 26-04-2006 12:44 AM

Tomato varieties

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:36:56 GMT, Allan Matthews
wrote:

On 24 Apr 2006 18:02:35 -0700, "
wrote:

Sixty years ago, Rutgers was the most popular tomato, with Marglobe
still in the running. Many home gardeners grew the Red Ponderosa which
was also called Beefsteak. Today hundreds of "heirlooms" have been
introduced by amateur breeder/traders. They have become very popular
for various reasons, but I have not found any that can beat those old
commercial varieties. If you like yellow, the Golden Ponderosa is very
good. The Purple Ponderosa and and its imitators are very good pinks.

Marglobe....bingo!!!!! That was what he raised. Thanks to all. I am
going to find some of these plants for this year and try a variety.

Thanks to all
Allan

Mentioned to my nephew today about my post here and the reponses. He
casually mentioned that he started 8 varieties of tomato plants each
year and one of them is Brandywine....and he will give me all the
plants I want.
I really did get a lot of info from people with that post. Thanks
again.
Allan

Garden Gnome 13-05-2006 06:48 PM

Tomato varieties

Allan Matthews wrote:

A couple of years ago I built a raised garden and have planted four
tomato plants each year since then. What I am harvesting are loads of
same size, perfectly round tomatos with very little taste and baseball
hard. What variety can I plant to get tomatos like my Father had in
his garden 60 years ago? TIA Allan

My choice would be brandywine and some type of beefsteak tomato.
Brandywine is an heirloom tomato, quite tasty as well as hardy.

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc

Marcella Peek 13-05-2006 07:12 PM

Tomato varieties

In article ,
Garden Gnome wrote:

Allan Matthews wrote:

A couple of years ago I built a raised garden and have planted four
tomato plants each year since then. What I am harvesting are loads of
same size, perfectly round tomatos with very little taste and baseball
hard. What variety can I plant to get tomatos like my Father had in
his garden 60 years ago? TIA Allan

My choice would be brandywine and some type of beefsteak tomato.
Brandywine is an heirloom tomato, quite tasty as well as hardy.

We really love pineapple stupice. Each year we try several different
heirloom varieties in addition to our standards. Seek out unique
varieties at the local garden center, farmers market or mail order
nursery. A nice site to read about the different varieties and what
they taste like is http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato_seeds_search.html
I like to browse, make note of what sounds good and then hunt them down
locally.

marcella

Garden Gnome 13-05-2006 08:01 PM

Tomato varieties

Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
Garden Gnome wrote:

Allan Matthews wrote:

[...]

My problem is the local garden centres carry only the basics :( I
thought I was pretty lucky to find lemon boys since yellow tomatoes are
not all that popular here. The one closest to me is a little more
liberal in what they order in so perhaps I can sweet talk them into
making a special order. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I recall a
purple tomato. So I've been searching.

Jim Carter 13-05-2006 08:37 PM

Tomato varieties

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:01:05 -0400, Garden Gnome
wrote:

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I recall a
purple tomato. So I've been searching.

Cherokee purple?

Or try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/qunwb