GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing sprouts from bird seed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/143375-growing-sprouts-bird-seed.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2006 09:12 AM

Growing sprouts from bird seed?

I have a cockatiel which I feed a mix of seeds (among other things).
A lot of the bigger seeds he doesn't eat much of. He prefers the
smaller seeds.
Do you think it would be a good idea if I planted these in my garden
and ate the sprouts?
That way I don't have to waste them.
Are some kinds of sprouts more nutritious than others or are they all
about the same?
Are they all very good?

tenacity 07-05-2006 04:57 PM

Growing sprouts from bird seed?

I've done that! Most of the big seeds are sunflowers, usually. I had a
bird feeder for a while, but when my cats started bringing me feathered
corpses (thanks guys) I removed the feeder. I sprouted the seed in
shallow dirt on my balcony just for fun, and got lots of nice seed
sprouts.

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag
will tel you.

zxcvbob 07-05-2006 10:09 PM

wrote:
I have a cockatiel which I feed a mix of seeds (among other things).
A lot of the bigger seeds he doesn't eat much of. He prefers the
smaller seeds.
Do you think it would be a good idea if I planted these in my garden
and ate the sprouts?
That way I don't have to waste them.
Are some kinds of sprouts more nutritious than others or are they all
about the same?
Are they all very good?

Make sure the mix does not contain sorghum, or you might poison yourself
with the sprouts.

Bob

Jim Carter 07-05-2006 10:47 PM

Growing sprouts from bird seed?

On 7 May 2006 08:57:55 -0700, "tenacity"
wrote:

Of course, I don't know what seed are in your mix, but I'm sure the bag
will tel you.

Depends what type of bird it is for, but:

red millet
prosso millet
white millet
sunflower
rape seed

and others I can no longer recall.

Spray millet grows quite nicely and seed eating birds just love
it. A friend owned a pet shop and lived on a farm; he made a
nice profit selling this fresh spray millet.