Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Are you guys into nutrition?

Do you grow veggies and fruits for the nutrition? That's why I'm doing
it (except for the blackberries). If I eat only junk food, I have no
energy and I feel terrible. Eating healthy is the only way I can get my
energy back. It's also the key to fighting depression. I used to have
chronic, severe depression until started eating fresh, raw vegetables
and fish oil pills.

I read that old age begins at age 27-35 because that's when your body
drastically reduces the amount of enzymes it produces, but you can get
those enzymes from fruits and vegetables and especially sprouts.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you grow veggies and fruits for the nutrition?

For freshness, flavour, variety, fun and nutrition

I read that old age begins at age 27-35 because that's when your body
drastically reduces the amount of enzymes it produces, but you can get
those enzymes from fruits and vegetables and especially sprouts.

Bullshit. The enzymes that make your body work are not those of plants, as
you have entirely different metabolisms.

Yes fresh veges and fruit are good for you but not for that reason and
eating a good diet does not suddenly become more important when you turn 35.

David

Old 03-05-2006, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Loki

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you grow veggies and fruits for the nutrition? That's why I'm doing
it (except for the blackberries). If I eat only junk food, I have no
energy and I feel terrible. Eating healthy is the only way I can get my
energy back. It's also the key to fighting depression. I used to have
chronic, severe depression until started eating fresh, raw vegetables
and fish oil pills.

I read that old age begins at age 27-35 because that's when your body
drastically reduces the amount of enzymes it produces, but you can get
those enzymes from fruits and vegetables and especially sprouts.

I garden organically because it's the cheapest way to obtain organic
produce. It's not totally organic as I cannot always find the seed I
want but I do what I can.

It's not about the sort of trendy "nutrition" bit you are talking about
it works for me.

Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name
of "health"?

Loki

Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"Loki" wrote:

Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name
of "health"?

Mark Twain
Be careful of reading health books.
You may die of a misprint.
/Mark Twain

I grow organically because there's less to worry about. And pulling weeds
for a couple of hours is _way_ cheaper than a shrink.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Loki

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Loki" wrote:

Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name
of "health"?

Mark Twain
Be careful of reading health books.
You may die of a misprint.
/Mark Twain

I grow organically because there's less to worry about. And pulling weeds
for a couple of hours is _way_ cheaper than a shrink.

Oh yeah. Do you ever name the weeds before you pull them???? I do...

Loki

Old 03-05-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
kate

Loki wrote:
"Gary Woods" wrote in message

"Loki" wrote:

Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name
of "health"?

Mark Twain
Be careful of reading health books.
You may die of a misprint.
/Mark Twain

I grow organically because there's less to worry about. And pulling weeds
for a couple of hours is _way_ cheaper than a shrink.

Oh yeah. Do you ever name the weeds before you pull them???? I do...

Loki

I've gone so far as to thank them.....

Kate

Old 13-05-2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

aem wrote:

wrote:

Do you grow veggies and fruits for the nutrition?

No. We grow them for freshness and taste and quality and variety. If
they turn out to be more nutritious as well, fine, but that's a side
effect for us.
[snip]

Sort of same here although nutrition is very important. I like growing
varieties of tomatoes and other vegetables that I can't get in the
stores. I like the freshness of being able to pick and eat. We enjoy
the taste of home grown and since I garden organically I know there
isn't a problem with pesticide residue. I think too, that just the
knowledge that it is home grown plays a role as well as knowing I'm
getting exercise while gardening.

I read that old age begins at age 27-35 because that's when your body
drastically reduces the amount of enzymes it produces, but you can get
those enzymes from fruits and vegetables and especially sprouts.

You can read almost anything about health and nutrition, especially on
the internet. In my opinion, a great deal of caution is needed to
verify that the sources are reliable. In my experience, Google (and
the like) is an abundant source for horseshit, which works better as a
garden fertilizer than it is does as a nutritional supplement. -aem

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
Old 13-05-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

Gary Woods wrote:

"Loki" wrote:

Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name
of "health"?

Mark Twain
Be careful of reading health books.
You may die of a misprint.
/Mark Twain

I grow organically because there's less to worry about. And pulling weeds
for a couple of hours is _way_ cheaper than a shrink.

Try using a blow torch. It fries the weed immediately while give a
sadistic bit of pleasure

Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Primer on Plant Nutrition Ray Orchids 0 14-08-2004 03:19 PM
Nutritional Immunology: Proper Nutrition can Prevent Diseases and Cure KO Plant Biology 0 24-04-2004 04:05 PM
"GOLDEN RICE" TO CHANGE NUTRITION STATUS OF POOR COUNTRIES: IRRI David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 03:20 AM
Science, ag joining hands - Researcher gets to the very roots of plant nutrition Aozotorp sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:28 PM