GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   miracle gro enriched potting mix (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/14369-miracle-gro-enriched-potting-mix.html)

Zphysics1 09-04-2003 07:08 PM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

I am at a quandary whether this potting mix is good for vegetables. Nowhere in
the bag does it say it is for veggies but nowhere does it say it isn't. Any
ideas? The picture on the bag shows only flowers.

/z.

Monique Reed 09-04-2003 08:08 PM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

Does it have fertilizer in it? If it does, look at the fertilizer
ratio, the N-P-K numbers. Compare them to what is recommended for
your crop(s). If the mix is highest in N, it won't be best for
veggies for which you want flowers and fruit--squash, eggplant, corn,
tomatoes, etc. High P is what you want for that, and if the potting
mix is for flowering plants, it will likely be highest in P and
probably fine for starters. A high N would be good for leafy
things--spinach, kale, lettuce, chard, and so on. Also, even if the
balance is right, the quantities in the mix might not be enough for a
heavy-feeding crop and you might need more fertilizer later on.

If it doesn't have fertilizer and it's just Miracle-gro brand, it
ought to be fine; you'll just have to add fertilizer.

Monique

Setzler 10-04-2003 12:44 PM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

It depends on whether you wish to grow your vegetables organically or not.
Miracle Grow is not organic.

susan

Christine Lipfert 11-04-2003 12:20 AM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

Is miracle grow fertilizer to hign in Nitrogen for tomatoes? Anyone
else use Miracle Grow on their tomatoes? What were the results?

George Shirley 11-04-2003 12:44 AM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

I use Miracle Gro for Tomatoes with good success. Even regular MG will
work as long as you don't overdo it.

George

Gary Flynn 11-04-2003 02:20 AM

Zphysics1 wrote:
I am at a quandary whether this potting mix is good for vegetables. Nowhere in
the bag does it say it is for veggies but nowhere does it say it isn't. Any
ideas? The picture on the bag shows only flowers.

I bought some kind of Miracle-Gro potting soil product last
year after being fed up with the sand/sawdust/landfill crap
that passes for soil in the cut-rate products. I don't know
if it was meant for vegetables but I had grape tomatoes,
several herbs, four types of peppers, and yellow squash
growing in pots all summer with no problems. I'm looking for
it again this year.

zxcvbob 14-04-2003 03:20 AM

Zphysics1 wrote:
I am at a quandary whether this potting mix is good for vegetables. Nowhere in
the bag does it say it is for veggies but nowhere does it say it isn't. Any
ideas? The picture on the bag shows only flowers.

/z.

It works just fine. That's what I'm using again this year. It could use a
little more vermiculite, and you might have to sift out the sticks and crap
if you're planting very *fine* seeds in it.

Best regards,
Bob

Zphysics1 14-04-2003 06:20 PM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

Thanks to everyone for their input.

/z.

Christine Lipfert 16-04-2003 12:56 AM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

How often should I miracle grow my tomato plants? The box recommends
every 7 to 14 days for vegtables. So far I've MG them once a week for
the past 3 weeks. It that too much? I have 3 different varities of
tomatos. Early Girl, Big Boy and Beef(?) After the first feeding I
noticed a small green tomato growing on the Beef, but nothing since.
I also noticed they are growing and becoming more leafy.
Christine

Zphysics1 16-04-2003 03:20 AM

miracle gro enriched potting mix

How often should I miracle grow my tomato plants? The box recommends
every 7 to 14 days for vegtables. So far I've MG them once a week for
the past 3 weeks. It that too much?

Miracle Gro potting mix is what I was talking about. Miracle Gro plant food is
soluble fertilizer.

jc 16-04-2003 05:56 PM

"Zphysics1" wrote in message

How often should I miracle grow my tomato plants? The box recommends
every 7 to 14 days for vegtables. So far I've MG them once a week for
the past 3 weeks. It that too much?

I usually use a solution diluted to about 1/4 the recommended amount
each time I water the plants. Works for me. -Olin