GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato worms,help. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/143898-re-tomato-worms-help.html)

TQ 12-05-2006 12:56 AM

tomato worms,help.

wrote in message
Several questons, I have several var of toms, and a couple of
cherry typs,,, the tomato worms liked one of the cherrys, and all of
everything I planted, in one nite they ate almost half of each plant I
have. Location here,,,, south of San Antonio Tex.
1. What can I use to kill/delete?
2.What advice for next season?
3. Do "they' dislike certain varities?
4.R there natural preditors?
I planted this year in wine barrels, mulch/pott soil.
All other veg. plants seem to be doing well.
thanks in advance. cl.

Get yourself down to the local Feed and Seed for some BT (bacillius
thuringiensis). One brand name for the stuff is Di-Pel. Mix with water and
spray. Start spraying weekly when you see the medium size Hawkmoth or
Sphinx moth that's looking for a place to lay her eggs. Make sure you get
good coverage on the leaves' undersides.
(Moth images:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&sa=N &tab=wi )

Store the concetrate somewhere where it doesn/t get above 90°F or the active
ingredients will perish. BT is non-toxic to people but makes worms sick to
their stomach so they stop eating and die.

As another poster said, the white, rice-like eggs on the back of mature
hornworms come from the Braconid wasp. The eggs are parasites and should be
left alone as they will kill the worm and ensure you have wasp preditors
next year.