GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any tricks for growing lettuce during the hot months? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/144108-any-tricks-growing-lettuce-during-hot-months.html)

---Pete--- 15-05-2006 02:58 PM

Any tricks for growing lettuce during the hot months?

Hi,
I'm in NJ and my leaf lettuce plants often bolt during the hot summer
months. On a train trip to FL last summer I saw acres and acres of
farm land with what looked like black netting ot tents over all the
crops. That made me think they were creating a cooler environment
for the crops but I have no idea what was growing.

Do you have any tricks for growing lettuce during
the hot summer months?

---pete---

Boron Elgar 15-05-2006 05:10 PM

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:58:47 GMT, (---Pete---) wrote:

Hi,
I'm in NJ and my leaf lettuce plants often bolt during the hot summer
months. On a train trip to FL last summer I saw acres and acres of
farm land with what looked like black netting ot tents over all the
crops. That made me think they were creating a cooler environment
for the crops but I have no idea what was growing.

Do you have any tricks for growing lettuce during
the hot summer months?

---pete---

I am in northern NJ. I usually grow mixed greens, such as mesclun and
keep them picked, by the leaf, very often. If you stagger your
planting and re-seed every 2 weeks or so, you should have a fine
supply all season. Watch carefully for bolt and "nip it in the bud",
as it were. If you are vigilant, you can avoid bitterness.

Again, I do not grow "head" lettuce, only leaf, so your problem might
be quite different and my solution not useful.

Boron

simy1 15-05-2006 05:29 PM

---Pete--- wrote:
Hi,
I'm in NJ and my leaf lettuce plants often bolt during the hot summer
months. On a train trip to FL last summer I saw acres and acres of
farm land with what looked like black netting ot tents over all the
crops. That made me think they were creating a cooler environment
for the crops but I have no idea what was growing.

Do you have any tricks for growing lettuce during
the hot summer months?

---pete---

Grow them under the tomatoes, or better, under the beans, switch to a
summer lettuce variety, or better, use two summer varieties, one early
one late,
so you get two crops out of one seeding.
I use a cold hardy mix for overwintering, oak leaf for the spring and
summer, and a couple
romaine species in the spring. Even in spring, I plant a later variety
amongst the garlic,
to get a later crop. The garlic light shade delays maturity further.
I also have a spot in the herb garden, that used to be full sun but now
is part shade,
currently occupied by rapini but to be seeded with lettuce in july.

---Pete--- 16-05-2006 02:05 PM

On 15 May 2006 09:29:05 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

Grow them under the tomatoes, or better, under the beans, switch to a
summer lettuce variety, or better, use two summer varieties, one early
one late,so you get two crops out of one seeding.

-------
I like the idea of planting the lettuce between my tomato plants.
I'll try that this year. Thanks

---pete---

---Pete--- 16-05-2006 02:13 PM

Any tricks for growing lettuce during the hot months?

On Mon, 15 May 2006 12:10:34 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

I am in northern NJ. I usually grow mixed greens, such as mesclun and
keep them picked, by the leaf, very often. If you stagger your
planting and re-seed every 2 weeks or so, you should have a fine
supply all season.

Yeah, I do all leaf lettuce too. I start mine indoors in early march
ant they take 2 months to get to transplant size. I never seem to have
much luck with seeding direct in the garden.

What is the best technique for planting lettuce in the garden?

---pete---

TQ 17-05-2006 01:19 AM

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Yeah, I do all leaf lettuce too. I start mine indoors in early march
ant they take 2 months to get to transplant size. I never seem to have
much luck with seeding direct in the garden.

What is the best technique for planting lettuce in the garden?

I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then thinned
to stand about 2" apart. I also broadcast some seed outdoors at the same
time, rake them in lightly, and cover the seed bed with a light pine straw
mulch to prevent the soil from drying. Germination takes longer sowing
outdoors but the results are usually good.

Come mid-August, I sow more seeds indoors and set out the 4" seedlings
mid-September.

As for growing lettuce in the summer; here in Zone 7 along the mid-Atlantic
US coastal plain, I don't even bother. It/s too hot and humid and besides,
my limited garden space is filled with plants that love the heat. You
might try putting a lattice over the plants to create some shade, plant them
in the shade of taller plants, or someplace where they get only the morning
sun.

--
TQ

---Pete--- 18-05-2006 12:18 AM

Any tricks for growing lettuce during the hot months?

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:19:44 -0400, "TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net
wrote:
I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then thinned
to stand about 2" apart.

-----
Lettuce plants are so delicate.
How do you separate them when it's time to plant in garden?

---pete---

TQ 20-05-2006 06:07 AM

wrote:
I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in

the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then

thinned
to stand about 2" apart.

-----
Lettuce plants are so delicate.
How do you separate them when it's time to plant in garden?

When I say thinned, I meant that I transplant the 1-1.5" sprouts into
another tray on 2" centers.

A couple weeks later, the sprouts have b/come 3-4" seedlings ready for
hardening off.

Before I transplant to the garden, I add a little water to moisten the
potting soil so the seedlings can be gently removed from the tray.