Old 29-05-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John

Default Where To Find "Mini Pearl" Currant Tomato?

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore.
They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease
resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year
succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

I would even be tempted to try to hybridize it myself if someone could
tell me what its parents are.

Alternative cultivar suggestions are welcome but please recommend
something that is a currant (teeny weeny, pea-sized) tomato and
moderately disease resistant. The "Supersweet 100's" and "Sweet
Millions" just don't cut it for me, size- and taste-wise.

J.
Old 29-05-2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DanielCoffey

On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:06:17 -0400, John wrote:

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore.
They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease
resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year
succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

You could have a look on www.tomatoseeds.net and see if they have a
grape tomato you like
Old 29-05-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:06:17 -0400, John wrote:

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore.
They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease
resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year
succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-kl.html

You might contact these folks. Their description is a bit vague, but
it might be what you're looking for.

I would even be tempted to try to hybridize it myself if someone could
tell me what its parents are.

Alternative cultivar suggestions are welcome but please recommend
something that is a currant (teeny weeny, pea-sized) tomato and
moderately disease resistant. The "Supersweet 100's" and "Sweet
Millions" just don't cut it for me, size- and taste-wise.

I love currant tomatoes, too. The biggest problem I have with them is
that they never make it into the house, I eat them as I walk around
the yard.

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1230(OG)

I'm growing these this year, so I can't tell you how hardy they are,
yet. You don't say what your location is, or what diseases you had
problems with, but that might help people here point you towards a
variety that does well in your area.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 29-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

On Mon, 29 May 2006 07:15:45 GMT, DanielCoffey
wrote:

On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:06:17 -0400, John wrote:

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore.
They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease
resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year
succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

You could have a look on www.tomatoseeds.net and see if they have a
grape tomato you like

Grape tomatoes are not currant tomatoes. Currant tomatoes are
_Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium_, grape tomatoes are _Lycopersicon
lycopersicum_.

I agree with John, the taste of a currant tomato is far superior to
most grape or cherry tomatoes.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 29-05-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John

Thanks, Penelope. Let me know how your "Sweet Pea" turns out.

I'm in Zone 5 an hour north of NYC. I have just set two "Tess' Land Race
Currant" in the ground yesterday that I raised from seed purchased from
Fedco. While hardening off on the front porch four of their companions
caught some sort of leaf spot (just from breathing the air, apparently)
so I've got my fingers crossed for the other two. As usual, all my other
varieties (Brandywine, Carmello and Better Boy) are in perfect health.
It's just the currants that seem so tender. Never had any trouble with
the "Mini Pearl" either.

I have put the name of the blight that whacked my Mexican currants last
year out of my mind, but it was the kind that basically strangled the
plants -- numerous cycles of wilt/recover in otherwise carefully tended
ground that resulted in a slow bottom-to-top death of the plant. The few
tomatoes that I did get before yanking and discarding them tasted nice,
though.

J.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Marrs

John,

Try this site. They have a white currant tomato which may be what your
looking for:

http://www.territorial-seed.com/stor..._P4076C515.cfm

Cheers

JEM