Old 31-05-2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Default bush bean seeds eaten

I planted a few bush beans about 3 weeks ago. Out of 20 seeds, 3
sprouted. I found remnants of one seed in the soil, it was half eaten,
like a channel down the spruot. The 3 that actually sprouted, had
damage to their seed part (thick fake leaves)

What is causing this?

Old 31-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

higgledy said:

I planted a few bush beans about 3 weeks ago. Out of 20 seeds, 3
sprouted. I found remnants of one seed in the soil, it was half eaten,
like a channel down the spruot. The 3 that actually sprouted, had
damage to their seed part (thick fake leaves)

What is causing this?

Most likely seed maggots (larva of a fly) or possibly wireworms (larva of a
click beetle).

http://www.uoguelph.ca/pdc/Factsheet...eedMaggots.htm

Replant right now and you should be fine.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-06-2006, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

higgledy said:

Should I spray a pesticide?

No.

Quoting: "No chemical control measures are available for home gardeners.
The use of entomogenous nematodes to treat the soil to help control seed
maggots may prove useful in some circumstances."

http://www.uoguelph.ca/pdc/Factsheet...eedMaggots.htm

Diazanon used to be recommended for home gardeners to use against
seed and root maggots but I do believe it has been withdrawn.

Organic controls would be those nematodes mentioned. A heavy dusting
of diatomaceous earth when planting the bean seeds might be useful.

You didn't mention where you are located, but if you are anywhere in
the northeastern US, the cool wet weather we had earlier in late May was
perfect for seed maggots. I lost some of my bean planting this year. It
happens.

Replant into warmer soil and you should be OK.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
higgledy

Pat,

I live in western Maryland. I thad been cold until this week. It
reached 100 on Tuesday! Anybody want some lettuce?

Thanks for the advice.

Phil