Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Alan

Default Lower leaves on tomatoes have holes

The lower leaves on my tomato plants have little holes and so does
some of the Basil. It's either from ants or tiny flying things. The
lettuce and zuchini seem fine since I put down the mulch. So, what
can I spay on the tomato plants that have been in the ground onlt two
weeks. I bought some Garden Safe brand Insecticisal Soap by Schultz.

It says on the bottle:

Garden Safe brand Insecticisal Soap Insect Killeris a contact spray
and pests must be sprayed directly to achieve control.

This product contains specially selected soaps (fatty acid salts)

Garden Safe brand Insecticisal Soap Insect Killeris penetrates the
both of pests and results in rapid death...by disrupting membrane and
cellular function.

There seem to be lots oh tiny hard to see bugs flying around and they
may be what are eating the leaves.

Last year I used Sevin but this time I am trying to do a little better
than that. It does not seem like the spray I bought has a residual
effect. What else is there?

Alan

Old 05-06-2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

wrote:

The lower leaves on my tomato plants have little holes and so does
some of the Basil. It's either from ants or tiny flying things. The
lettuce and zuchini seem fine since I put down the mulch. So, what
can I spay on the tomato plants that have been in the ground onlt two
weeks. I bought some Garden Safe brand Insecticisal Soap by Schultz.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05592.html

http://www.saferbrand.com/articles/insecttomatoes.htm

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r7833...tml#MANAGEMENT

See if any of that helps.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

wrote:

The lower leaves on my tomato plants have little holes and so does
some of the Basil. It's either from ants or tiny flying things. The
lettuce and zuchini seem fine since I put down the mulch. So, what
can I spay on the tomato plants that have been in the ground onlt two
weeks. I bought some Garden Safe brand Insecticisal Soap by Schultz.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05592.html

http://www.saferbrand.com/articles/insecttomatoes.htm

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r7833...tml#MANAGEMENT

See if any of that helps.

Flea beetles would have been my first guess, too. Sevin will kill them as
will Rotenone dust.