Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered User

Location: Polegate, East Sussex UK
Default Suspected stem rot ????

Hi don't know if anyone can help here. I'm a new gardener this year and am growing tomatoes in pots in a courtyard gaden. I have attached pics of 2 of my plants which from research on the net I suspect to have stem rot. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on what to do, so I thought I'd post here.

Apologies for joining and posting a question straight away, I will hope to be able to contribute as my knowledge grows.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspected stem rot ????-002.jpg
Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

andy39surf wrote:
Hi don't know if anyone can help here. I'm a new gardener this year and
am growing tomatoes in pots in a courtyard gaden. I have attached pics
of 2 of my plants which from research on the net I suspect to have stem
rot. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on what to do, so I
thought I'd post here.

It's definitely some type of rot (perhaps Pythium Rot or a form of
Blight). Either way, from my experience, the affected plants are doomed.
I lost twenty plants to something similar a few years ago. There could
be a number of sources but too much moisture/humidity could be a factor
that allows the fungus to thrive. I had to destroy the entire crop
because it spread so quickly. (I see you're in the UK, so your climate
is not unlike mine in Eastern Canada - cool and moist...ideal for fungus
to grow).

One thing I'll note from the picture is that you need to mulch the
plant. When you water them, the soil gets splashed up on to the leaves
and stem and that contributes to the spread of soil-borne diseases (like
Blight).

Right now, you have to pull those plants and either burn or garbage
them. Do not use any part of the plant or soil in your compost. You'll
only pass on the disease. Do not reuse the soil in anything that may
eventually host future tomato or potato plants. I usually put the used
container soil on the lawn as far from the garden as possible. (This
applies to tomatoes and potatoes regardless of whether a disease appears
or not...a disease may not affect one season but overwinter in the soil
for next season).

The next time you plant tomatoes, use new potting soil (every year) and
mulch the base of the plant. When the plants get so high (as in the
pics) you might consider a light dusting of a fungicide (if you have any
surviving plants that haven't shown the stem rot yet, consider a
fungicide dust to see if you can save them). I have a moist climate here
and always give a sprinkle of potato dust on my tomatoes and potatoes. I
haven't had a fungus problem since. Also, keep the plants away from each
other. They don't look like they were touching in the pics, but just in
case, ensure the leaves of each plant have enough distance so that
they'll never touch. And don't over water them. The soil should feel
damp and moist, not saturated.

That's my take on it anyway. I'm quite interested to see what others
have to say.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"andy39surf" wrote in message

Hi don't know if anyone can help here. I'm a new gardener this year and
am growing tomatoes in pots in a courtyard gaden. I have attached pics
of 2 of my plants which from research on the net I suspect to have stem
rot. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on what to do, so I
thought I'd post here.

Apologies for joining and posting a question straight away, I will hope
to be able to contribute as my knowledge grows.

|Filename: 002.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2911|

Not sure what/s going on. Soil looks a little soggy but it could be just
the lighting.

If it were me, I/d replant. In fact, if you get busy this weekend, there/s
still time to start you own plants (short season variety like Early Girl -
52 days) and get them outside by mid-July for an early fall crop.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Polegate, East Sussex UK

Thanks for the advice, I have binned the worst affected plant and am closely monitoring the other one. As for the cool climate, it's 82 in the shade today, oh joy, have just come back from a day on the beach windsurfing. When it's like this England really is the best place in the world!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy39surf
Hi don't know if anyone can help here. I'm a new gardener this year and am growing tomatoes in pots in a courtyard gaden. I have attached pics of 2 of my plants which from research on the net I suspect to have stem rot.
---
One thing you must never, never do when handling tomato seedlings is to touch the stems with your fingers when transplanting. Always hold them by a leaf. I have in the past lost quite a few young tomato plants by holding the stems. Perhaps you are not guilty, I offer this advice just in case you are.

OT - Suspected Hit & Run. 7-30-14. [email protected][_2_] Plant Biology 0 30-07-2014 01:28 PM
Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
onions & stem rot keith ;-\) United Kingdom 6 08-11-2005 09:16 PM
Suspected Hedgehog droppings from a couple of months ago Tim Challenger United Kingdom 18 19-09-2003 09:56 PM