GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Melons in New England (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/146261-melons-new-england.html)

General Schvantzkoph 09-06-2006 10:41 PM

Melons in New England

I have a fair amount of room left over in my garden so I'm looking for
something else to grow. I have several dozen tomato plants, green
peppers, herbs, and strawberries. I was thinking that melons of some sort
might be nice but I don't know if there is enough time left in the growing
season or if it is even possible to grow them in New England
(Massachusetts, near Lowell and Nashua). Anyone have any recommendations?

Harry Chickpea 09-06-2006 11:23 PM

Melons in New England

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I have a fair amount of room left over in my garden so I'm looking for
something else to grow. I have several dozen tomato plants, green
peppers, herbs, and strawberries. I was thinking that melons of some sort
might be nice but I don't know if there is enough time left in the growing
season or if it is even possible to grow them in New England
(Massachusetts, near Lowell and Nashua). Anyone have any recommendations?

Used to grow cantaloupe and watermelon in Vermont without a problem.
If you don't try to start from seed, you can probably get a crop.
Just plant em on top of a half bag of cow manure (old cow flops are
better) and don't forget to add some fertilizer. These can be heavy
feeders, and they WILL take over a large area, so planting near corn
worked for me. I found cantaloupe to be slightly easier and faster to
grow. YMMV.

Several DOZEN tomato plants??? First time gardening or do you like to
can?

General Schvantzkoph 09-06-2006 11:28 PM

Melons in New England

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:23:37 +0000, Harry Chickpea wrote:

[...]

I make five or six gallons of spaghetti sauce every year and freeze it.
I'm trying to raise enough tomatoes for both me and the raccoons. I'm
putting a fence around the garden but I doubt it will keep them out so I
figure if I raise a few hundred tomatoes the raccoons won't be able to eat
them all.

TQ 10-06-2006 01:45 AM

Melons in New England

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I have a fair amount of room left over in my garden so I'm looking for
something else to grow. I have several dozen tomato plants, green
peppers, herbs, and strawberries. I was thinking that melons of some sort
might be nice but I don't know if there is enough time left in the growing
season or if it is even possible to grow them in New England
(Massachusetts, near Lowell and Nashua). Anyone have any recommendations?

Johnny/s Selected Seeds (Albion, ME) has all types of seed suited for the
NE.

Cool season melons - 75 days...
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...gies&item=2691

Shorter...
http://tinyurl.com/lez63

Melons like hot growing conditions, so if you have an area where the
micro-climate is a tad warmer, that/s where you/ll want to sow your melon
seed.

General Schvantzkoph 10-06-2006 01:55 AM

Melons in New England

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:45:38 -0400, TQ wrote:

[...]

It's to late for seeds, I'll just buy plants. However it doesn't look like
we are going to have any hot weather for a while so maybe this isn't the
year for melons. It's been raining at least 50% of the time this year.
Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that like cold wet weather.

[email protected] 10-06-2006 05:00 AM

Melons in New England

[...]

You/re telling me that 75-day melon seed planted this weekend won/t be
ready to pick by the end of Aug? Maybe not in N ME, VT, and NH but NE
MA? What about global warming?

John Savage 14-06-2006 03:01 AM

Melons in New England

General Schvantzkoph writes:
Does anyone have any suggestions for plants that like cold wet weather.

Cabbages. But as you are just coming into summer I think this might
be too early. With cabbages you have to wage a constant war against
grubs.

Lettuce, provided the soil drains well. But in hot weather lettuce will
bolt to seed. They also need spraying to control grubs.

Boron Elgar 09-08-2019 01:52 AM

Melons in New England

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 17:37:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

? 2006?6?9???? UTC-7??2:41:59?General Schvantzkoph???
I have a fair amount of room left over in my garden so I'm looking for
something else to grow. I have several dozen tomato plants, green
peppers, herbs, and strawberries. I was thinking that melons of some sort
might be nice but I don't know if there is enough time left in the growing
season or if it is even possible to grow them in New England
(Massachusetts, near Lowell and Nashua). Anyone have any recommendations?

Wait until next season for melons. They need a long time.

If you want something ready in 3 weeks, though, plant radishes. We're
on the 4th round of planting them here this season. Damn near
foolproof and quite tasty. French breakfast are a favorite type.