GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can I tell the difference between a female and male fennel seedling? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/14698-can-i-tell-difference-between-female-male-fennel-seedling.html)

Gary Flynn 12-04-2003 09:56 PM

Can I tell the difference between a female and male fennel seedling?

Hi,

I know the male plant has the round bulb but it would be
useful to be able to tell them apart while they're small
before thinning the row.

Anyone know if it can be done?

Nick Maclaren 14-04-2003 11:08 AM

Can I tell the difference between a female and male fennel seedling?

In article ,
Gary Flynn writes:

| I know the male plant has the round bulb but it would be
| useful to be able to tell them apart while they're small
| before thinning the row.
|
| Anyone know if it can be done?

Er, fennel is not dioecious, as far as I know! The plants are
all bisexual.

You are describing the difference between Florence fennel and
ordinary herb fennel, which are simply different varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.